Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Ouch!! **a few pictures added**

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:58 PM
  • 26 Replies
Okay starting to feel that pain of constant nursing :/ they are sore to the touch. It has a brief moment of pain once he latches on but no pain during or after he unlatches. It feels like they are dry even though I try to keep the cream on them.

I really want to push through this but after the 11:55pm to 6:55am cluster feeds my poor nipples need a brief rest!

Update:

I was so ready to give up tonight because I was honestly raw. I can't stand even my shirt to touch. I tried the shield and he refused to even open his mouth. I pumped a bit into a bottle and after a frustrating time he took the bottle & drank what I was able to pump. I did look at his mouth while latched and he didn't have the fish lips. I gently rolled them out but he pulled back to the orginial position. I tried to get him to latch to my breast but he refused to open any wider than the nipple. When he did I would try to get him to latch as the pictures but he would pull back to just get the nipple. I am calling someone tomorrow to see how I can correctly get him to latch on.
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:30 PM
Be sure he opens wide to latch on and off. Correct it every time if it's not right. How old is he?
JRSMOM0621
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:09 PM

3 days. It takes me about 3 minutes each time to get him to open up all the way. He pushes my nipple out with his mouth closed. He doesnt open his mouth to unlatch

Quoting MusherMaggie: Be sure he opens wide to latch on and off. Correct it every time if it's not right. How old is he?

Proud mommy of 1 special angel and 2 boys :-) I am love animals, dogs & horses are my favorites. I am the kind of person that you would consider weird and that is okay by me :D I am interested in the why of things not just the how. I also ask the most random questions like why is it considered littering when it is biodegradable?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:17 PM
Look for early nursing cues--rooting, moving his head around. Both of you are still learning, so it pays to take that three minutes. Cup and shape your breast with the opposite hand, tickle around his mouth with your nipple--that will encourage him to open wide.
JRSMOM0621
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:42 PM
Okay. He is sleeping a ton and goes 4 or a little more in between feedings. Is this normal or should I wake him up to eat after it's been a while?

Quoting MusherMaggie: Look for early nursing cues--rooting, moving his head around. Both of you are still learning, so it pays to take that three minutes. Cup and shape your breast with the opposite hand, tickle around his mouth with your nipple--that will encourage him to open wide.
yellow14
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:03 PM
How old is your son? With my son it hurt about 2 weeks really bad and I would crack and bleed and I would always put cream on. After 2 weeks the pain went away, just hang in there it may take time
anxiousschk
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Neosporin plus pain relief.  

My nipple was cracked like that, a little deeper in fact.  That cream saved us.  My lactation consultant told us to use it.  Just a dab on the worst parts.  Not a glob.  Put it on directly after a nursing session and you won't need to wipe it off.  

Yes, if there are latch issues, you have to fix those, but there are plenty of women here who are great with that :)  

I just wanted to let you know you can use a cream that gets rid of pain. 

ceckyl
by Kyla on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:32 PM
Where is his bottle lip? Neither of his lips look flanged out and your nipple looks a little misshapen. I'm thinking ties.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:38 PM
My thought as well.

Quoting ceckyl: Where is his bottle lip? Neither of his lips look flanged out and your nipple looks a little misshapen. I'm thinking ties.
Crob4
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:38 PM

His top lip looks tucked instead of flanged out over your nipple

thundersky
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Quoting ceckyl: Where is his bottle lip? Neither of his lips look flanged out and your nipple looks a little misshapen. I'm thinking ties.

i agree my dd2's top lip looks like that when nursing and she has a lip tie. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)