Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feeding question, please help!

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:32 PM
  • 8 Replies
My little guy is 8 days old. At the hospital and even after we came home he was eating great- up to 45 minutes total per feeding. Yesterday, he started only eating 5-10 minutes before he will fall asleep and it's impossible to wake him -I've tried tickling, wipe on the face, changing diaper, bouncing, everything- he will eat every 1-2 hours but no more than 5-10 minutes. We had a rough night last night because by midnight I felt like I didn't have any milk left on either breast. He was very fussy and kept trying eat (both sides) until 1:30. He woke up around 5 and one breast felt heavier-not full though- and he took all of that one, then an hour later the same thing happened with the other breast.

This is my first baby and I'm just really worried he's not getting enough. He still has 5-6 wet diapers and 3-5 dirty diapers that are the yellow mustard seed poops.

Is something wrong, or am I just being paranoid?
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Your diaper count tells you he is getting enough.
MaryJarrett
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds normal to me! Congrats on your new addition!
polkaspots
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this
You're being a little paranoid, but that's totally normal. Keep paying attention to diapers and you'll both be fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 12, 2014 at 5:26 PM
2 moms liked this
Normal. Your milk is fully in and he's able to be more efficient. No worries! That evening cluster feeding is normal, too.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Perfectly normal. They get really efficient at nursing, and you're lucky not to be engorged. Remember that poopy diapers count as two, so his diaper count is terrific! He will be heading into the first growth spurt shortly, and may want to be on the breast 24/7. This, too, is normal. Breasts are factories or faucets rather than storage units; a soft breast is a good working breast. As long as sucking is happening, milk is being made.
MinaPR
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Congrats! That's exactly what being a mom means...being a freaking paranoid!! It seems your boy is doing great. God job!!!
gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 20mommy14: My little guy is 8 days old. At the hospital and even after we came home he was eating great- up to 45 minutes total per feeding. Yesterday, he started only eating 5-10 minutes before he will fall asleep and it's impossible to wake him -I've tried tickling, wipe on the face, changing diaper, bouncing, everything- he will eat every 1-2 hours but no more than 5-10 minutes.
That will change. And change again. And again. Don't get too used to anything!
We had a rough night last night because by midnight I felt like I didn't have any milk left on either breast.
Supply naturally drops throughout the day BUT that empty feeling is actually a good thing... 
He was very fussy and kept trying eat (both sides) until 1:30.
And so is the fussiness. It tells the body to make more.
He woke up around 5 and one breast felt heavier-not full though- and he took all of that one, then an hour later the same thing happened with the other breast. This is my first baby and I'm just really worried he's not getting enough. He still has 5-6 wet diapers and 3-5 dirty diapers that are the yellow mustard seed poops. Is something wrong, or am I just being paranoid?
The dipes are good so you're good. Keep watching them.

20mommy14
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:06 PM
Thanks everyone! Puts a new mommy's mind at ease!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)