Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

for those who pump...

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:27 PM
  • 29 Replies
How much do you get per pumping session?

Just curious. I had a friend. That stopped because she thought she wasn't pumping enough and that her supply dropped because she started working.

She pumped 4-6 oz per session.

I just pumped about aan hour ago and I usuaally get between 5-9oz.

Does the breast size influence the outcome? I have bf my first son but it was straight from the tap. This time I a pumping at work and breastfeeding at home... so I still have questions.

We are both around the same she's a 32C am a 36C
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamasita7176
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:36 PM

I pump at work, nurse at home. DD2 is 10 months and eats table food too! I pump 3-4 oz per session now days. I'm amount a 36 d

jhcz
by New Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:41 PM
When I was bf my dd I would pump an hour after feeding her and only get 1 or 2 oz im a 38 dd.
rwcw89
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:45 PM
At 7weeks I get about 3oz-4oz total pumping (looking into a better pump )
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Quoting mfk3: How much do you get per pumping session?
As little as half an ounce, as much as three ounces. ONCE I got five ounces but that was in the early stages. Normal is half an ounce to two total.
Just curious. I had a friend. That stopped because she thought she wasn't pumping enough and that her supply dropped because she started working. She pumped 4-6 oz per session.
YOWZA! She pumped a LOT. Baby needs 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour of separation, so she was getting a full day's supply in two pumps. Most moms can't manage that. She was doing FAR better than she knew.
I just pumped about aan hour ago and I usuaally get between 5-9oz.
DOUBLE YOWZA! You are a lactating goddess.
Does the breast size influence the outcome?
Nope. No effect at all. AA cups can produce just as much as a JJJ cup. Pump output only measures response to the puymp, NOTHING else. You and your friend are both OVER achievers.
I have bf my first son but it was straight from the tap. This time I a pumping at work and breastfeeding at home... so I still have questions. We are both around the same she's a 32C am a 36C

Matters not. Breast size is completely immaterial, and your friend did not have to stop. She may have needed to retrain her caregivers if they were overfeeding... anything more than 8-10 ounces in an eight hour workday is overfeeding.

alkakfnxcpoem
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:54 AM
I usually get 4 oz per side per session, but I also only pump every six hours and have an oversupply. I was a 34D now I'm a 34DD but wear a 36D because 34DDs are impossible to find.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 2:04 AM
I usually get between one and three ounces depending on time of day and what I've eaten. If I pump early in the morning after a bowl of oatmeal I can sometimes get up to five ounces. Usually it's more like 1.5-2ounces from the left and 0.5-1.5oz from the right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 13, 2014 at 8:34 AM

Quoting mfk3: How much do you get per pumping session?3-8 oz because I have worked hard and trained my body to respond..now this is when away from baby
Just curious. I had a friend. That stopped because she thought she wasn't pumping enough and that her supply dropped because she started working. She pumped 4-6 oz per session.over achiever..she was pumping enough for 2 bottles a session!
I just pumped about aan hour ago and I usuaally get between 5-9oz.crazy high
Does the breast size influence the outcome?nope not really
I have bf my first son but it was straight from the tap. This time I a pumping at work and breastfeeding at home... so I still have questions. We are both around the same she's a 32C am a 36C

When away pump every 3 hours and from early on pump once a morning every morning to train your breasts how to ersopnd to the pump!

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Mar. 13, 2014 at 8:39 AM
It really depends. Right now, I'm only pumping once in the morning to keep my pmp response for when I got back to work. I usually nurse on one side while pumping the other and get anywhere from 3-6oz from one side, depending on when he last ate (6 is rare, 3 is more common). I switch and pump the side he just nursed off of, but I'm lucky to get 1oz from that.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 13, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Thats a perfect amount why do you need a better pump?

Quoting rwcw89: At 7weeks I get about 3oz-4oz total pumping (looking into a better pump )

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 13, 2014 at 8:59 AM

In my experience I have found moms with larger breasts tend to hasve MORE issues making milk than small breasted women, not sure why.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)