Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any Nurses??

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:20 PM
  • 11 Replies
So I want to be a labor and delivery nurse. I'm going to a community college to do a few classes that I need towards my degree but mainly to get my gpa up to go. I was reading online and nurses are needed on the rise but said labor and delivery will decrease in need overtime. I might go in a different direction when I start school that's what a teacher said so maybe.

If your a nurse how was school?? Was it harder than you thought?? Any advice?? How much did you pay for college?? Are you paying loans back?? How much was your starting salary when you got your first job?? What's your area of nursing??

Sorry for all the questions lol. You can message me if it's better just wanted some insight. Thanks.
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alkakfnxcpoem
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:47 AM
I'm not a nurse yet but I'm doing prerequisites to apply for an accelerated bsn program. So I can't tell you how school is, but I can tell you two new nurses I know were talking about pay and scoffing at $19 an hour. I work on a psych ward as a counselor now and plan on becoming a psych nurse.
melindabelcher
by mel on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I did my lpn when I was 18/19. I paid cash.
I worked in a nursing home as a charge nurse of a unit on the overnight shift.
I started around $23hr, when I stopped working 5yrs later I was making over $25hr. I live in MA
I recently went back to school for my pre-reqs and recieved scholarships.
I haven't found any part of school hard but I tend to naturally excel in academics.
I eventually want my bsn but I don't know what I want to do anymore. I've always wanted to work in the NICU but we'll see.
For me the hardest part of nursing was A. Ppl who don't care about taking care of and owning their body, and seeing the downward spiral of meds. B. That there is so much paperwork and so little bedside time.
gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:17 AM

One of my cousins is an ER nurse in MA, and has been for about 20 years. She's made enough to buy her own home in Medford and travel overseas on a regular basis, so she's doing well.

I'm thinking it would be a good idea to get your IBCLC while you're at it in the training; it can make you more valuable.

MyahsMom
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:43 AM
I obviously don't know where you live, but $19 an hour is really low pay for a registered nurse. I'm in Wisconsin and the nurses here are making $30 an hour, and this isn't an expensive part of the country so I'm not sure why it's so low where you are at.

Quoting alkakfnxcpoem: I'm not a nurse yet but I'm doing prerequisites to apply for an accelerated bsn program. So I can't tell you how school is, but I can tell you two new nurses I know were talking about pay and scoffing at $19 an hour. I work on a psych ward as a counselor now and plan on becoming a psych nurse.
Susan0805
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:49 AM
I have two more months left of nursing school before I graduate. I'm a military veteran and nursing school is seriously the hardest school I've ever done including military training! Lol. It's not for sissys! I shouldn't scare you, sorry. It has been an amazing experience and I've learned a tremendous wealth of knowledge! Even though it's difficult I would do it all over again! Your classmates begin to feel more like family because you spend so much time together and if you pick the right school your instructors will set you up for success! Many nurses pick med/surg after graduation because it gives you a foundation of experience in multiple areas. Others decide on a specialty such as ob or mental health right away. The great think is nursing affords many job opportunities! Good luck !
Susan0805
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:53 AM
Yes I agree about It's not so much the academics that's hard but rather so many assignments/paperwork. Maybe having a family and job on top of school is what made it so tough for me but then I see the dorm kids having a tough time too. I think just the demands of nursing school is what's so rough!

Quoting melindabelcher: I did my lpn when I was 18/19. I paid cash.
I worked in a nursing home as a charge nurse of a unit on the overnight shift.
I started around $23hr, when I stopped working 5yrs later I was making over $25hr. I live in MA
I recently went back to school for my pre-reqs and recieved scholarships.
I haven't found any part of school hard but I tend to naturally excel in academics.
I eventually want my bsn but I don't know what I want to do anymore. I've always wanted to work in the NICU but we'll see.
For me the hardest part of nursing was A. Ppl who don't care about taking care of and owning their body, and seeing the downward spiral of meds. B. That there is so much paperwork and so little bedside time.
Gingerbell.RN
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:22 PM
I'm a labor and delivery RN!

I have an associates degree and i thought school was fairly easy. I had just graduated high school and so the school routine was easier to jump in to.

I started out on a medical floor for 18 months before i went to labor and delivery. I really think it helped me gain some experience as far as patient and time management.

The job is most of the time a beautiful rewarding job. It is a lot more intense than I originally thought buy i still love it.

I make $24.17 and have been a nurse for almost 5 years.
alkakfnxcpoem
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:23 AM
No I meant they were scoffing at $19 an hour like it was absurd. I currently make less than $14 an hour so I was like what the hell!?!? I'd love $19 an hour haha. Pretty sure a salary for a new grad nurse is around $23 an hour here in Massachusetts.

Quoting MyahsMom: I obviously don't know where you live, but $19 an hour is really low pay for a registered nurse. I'm in Wisconsin and the nurses here are making $30 an hour, and this isn't an expensive part of the country so I'm not sure why it's so low where you are at.

Quoting alkakfnxcpoem: I'm not a nurse yet but I'm doing prerequisites to apply for an accelerated bsn program. So I can't tell you how school is, but I can tell you two new nurses I know were talking about pay and scoffing at $19 an hour. I work on a psych ward as a counselor now and plan on becoming a psych nurse.
mommietwobe
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 1:15 AM
What do you mean you started off on a medical floor?? So you didn't get a labor and delivery job first. What did you do on the medical floor?? I'm going to get my BSN. The hospital I want to work at wants you to have a bachelors we'll associates is good but I thought what the heck.

Do you love waking up and going to work?? Have you had a scary moment yet?? What's your schedule like?? What was the hardest part of school??

Quoting Gingerbell.RN: I'm a labor and delivery RN!

I have an associates degree and i thought school was fairly easy. I had just graduated high school and so the school routine was easier to jump in to.

I started out on a medical floor for 18 months before i went to labor and delivery. I really think it helped me gain some experience as far as patient and time management.

The job is most of the time a beautiful rewarding job. It is a lot more intense than I originally thought buy i still love it.

Gingerbell.RN
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 3:16 AM
Any type of floor nursing really is good experience. I did a rehabilitation/skilled care unit. They like you to have basic nursing assessment and iv/lab draws down too. I was still a RN. A lot of specialty units want a well rounded nurse.

I do love my job but it sometimes makes me frustrated. I hate having to circulate c sections. It just sucks.

It's always hard having demises and scary when you have a bad baby or really long deceleration on a strip. We've had some really sick moms and babies. You just have to know how to jump in, assess the situation and act promptly.

The hardest part of school was probably clinicals. You have so much information to give and learn.

Quoting mommietwobe: What do you mean you started off on a medical floor?? So you didn't get a labor and delivery job first. What did you do on the medical floor?? I'm going to get my BSN. The hospital I want to work at wants you to have a bachelors we'll associates is good but I thought what the heck.

Do you love waking up and going to work?? Have you had a scary moment yet?? What's your schedule like?? What was the hardest part of school??

Quoting Gingerbell.RN: I'm a labor and delivery RN!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)