Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My one month old... Are these issues that I can resolve or that he just has to outgrow?

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:19 AM
  • 18 Replies

Mobile Photo

My son is a month old and has been ebf from day one. I had a little pain in the beginning as he learned to latch and my nipples adjusted, but otherwise he's been great! Lots and lots of dirty and wets and plenty of weight gain so far.

The biggest thing that concerns me is he seems really gassy, but unable to pass it easily like he could while he was still passing meconium and only getting colostrum. It seems like he starts the day out feeling okay, but as the day wears on he starts getting more and more fussy until we have a 2-4 hour stretch of almost non-stop crying in the late evening/midnight. During that 2-4 hour stretch he will eat the first time very well, but after being burped and falling asleep for a minute or two he wake up upset. Then I try to get him to latch and he will, but only for a few seconds before he pulls off or he will fall asleep and drop the breast and we start the latch and unlatch routine like that for the rest of the 2-4 hours while crying. I burp him after he comes off the breast on his own, then put him back to the breast, burp again when he comes off, then switch breasts, burp when he comes off, then put him back on until he comes off. During the day he usually stays awake for all, but if he falls asleep I let him sleep then burp him when he wakes. He's very hard to burp unless he gets a lot of milk at once(like in the mornings or after a missed nursing session), and he hardly ever seems to pass gas anymore unless he poops. I've tried gas drops in the evening when the crying gets frustrating for me, but it doesn't seem to do much for him. I also try to rub his belly(which seems to hurt him!), and I place him over my leg and support his head while patting his bum, and I burp him as much as he will allow as he arches back a lot. I thought about trying to find gripe water to see if that does more for him, but I'm not sure as I've never used it before. Would you ladies chalk this up to growth spurt or colic? Or does it seem as if there's more to it(gassy/or other issues)? He also seems to lose suction a lot at the corners of his mouth which I know can lead to more air swallows... Is there anything I can do to help him not lose suction as it seems to happen 2+ times every time he nurses?

Also, he seems to get frustrated with my nipples... They seem to go soft and he has a hard time finding them to latch after he's "emptied" my breasts. I never had that problem with my other nurslings, so I'm not sure it's normal. I know it's normal for them to soften up if they start to comfort nurse, but it seems to happen when he's still actively nursing nutritively if he comes off to be burped.
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AylaShianne
by New Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:26 AM
When my son is gassy I usually push his legs up and keep them moving, that seems to help him. It could also be your diet affecting how gassy he is. I noticed a change when I stopped eating so much gassy type of foods.
I know I'm not like a veteran mom but still I hope this helps you a little.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:33 AM
1 month is a hard age!

First off, meconium is tar like poop and by 1 month I highly doubt you are making only colostrum

Second, their digestion systems are so new, so gassiness is normal. Do you have overactive letdown? This will contribute to the gassiness. I personally wouldnt do the gas drops, it seems like its not working.

Third. You may need to burp longer and try different burping positions to get those stubborn burps.

Have you considered taking him to a chiropractor? That may help. Do you babywear him at all? My first was a high needs baby, babywearing saved me! Lol
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 2:01 AM
For the gassiness, do you have a baby carrier of some sort? Carrying him tummy to tummy with his legs froggied up underneath might help make passing gas easier on him. That's what I've don't with all three of them. I wear them upright in my stretchy wrap in the mornings and evenings while I'm busy doing things. It was especially helpful for my formula fed dd who has lots of trouble pooping and passing gas. My letdown is a bit too strong for ds2 so wearing him while and after nursing really helps. He's nursing upright which slows the flow a bit and then he stays upright and burps for the next twenty minutes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 3:19 AM
I meant when he still was passing meconium and only getting colostrum he seemed very gassy, but he seemed to be able to easily pass the gas. He doesn't seem to pass the gas as easily after my milk came in.... Sorry for the confusion lol. I don't think I have an overactive let down... He does dribble milk sometimes but he doesn't arch back. I wouldn't begin to know where to find a chiropractor as I'm in Japan and they don't have them in military clinics. I wear him if I can get him to... If I put him in awake he fights being in it and cries the whole time, and sometimes he wakes up in it quickly. I wish he loved it lol.

Quoting Precious333: 1 month is a hard age!

First off, meconium is tar like poop and by 1 month I highly doubt you are making only colostrum

Second, their digestion systems are so new, so gassiness is normal. Do you have overactive letdown? This will contribute to the gassiness. I personally wouldnt do the gas drops, it seems like its not working.

Third. You may need to burp longer and try different burping positions to get those stubborn burps.

Have you considered taking him to a chiropractor? That may help. Do you babywear him at all? My first was a high needs baby, babywearing saved me! Lol
K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 13, 2014 at 6:11 AM
Have you checked him for tongue tie?
melindabelcher
by mel on Mar. 13, 2014 at 6:36 AM
This is exactly what I was going to ask. Check for a tongue and lip tie?
It sounds very much mike reflux to me. Which can be caused by the ties.
Also the difficulty latching sounds like ties

Quoting K8wizzo: Have you checked him for tongue tie?
GodsAmiga
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 6:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Where in Japan are you? I'm in Japan too. :-) i've been told that the chiropractors off-base here are very reasonably priced. You can look for a base page on facebook and try asking if anyone has used one or knows of one.

I agree with trying to wear him. My third had colic and acid reflux and wearing him in my Boba was magic! :-) Also slowly pedaling the legs while he is on his back and sometimes switching to pressing both legs up towards the armpits and then back to pedaling them can help as well. Mine was also helped with the binky. If yours has acid reflux or silent reflux they can help a lot. When they get that acid feeling they want to suck to soothe it but then nursing and getting more milk when their tummy is already full can make things worse but the more they feel the acid feeling the more they want to suck. I gave mine a paci then and he was able to suck without getting too much milk.

Quoting Mrs.Pedro: I meant when he still was passing meconium and only getting colostrum he seemed very gassy, but he seemed to be able to easily pass the gas. He doesn't seem to pass the gas as easily after my milk came in.... Sorry for the confusion lol. I don't think I have an overactive let down... He does dribble milk sometimes but he doesn't arch back. I wouldn't begin to know where to find a chiropractor as I'm in Japan and they don't have them in military clinics. I wear him if I can get him to... If I put him in awake he fights being in it and cries the whole time, and sometimes he wakes up in it quickly. I wish he loved it lol.
Quoting Precious333: 1 month is a hard age! First off, meconium is tar like poop and by 1 month I highly doubt you are making only colostrum Second, their digestion systems are so new, so gassiness is normal. Do you have overactive letdown? This will contribute to the gassiness. I personally wouldnt do the gas drops, it seems like its not working. Third. You may need to burp longer and try different burping positions to get those stubborn burps. Have you considered taking him to a chiropractor? That may help. Do you babywear him at all? My first was a high needs baby, babywearing saved me! Lol

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 7:37 AM
He does appear to have an upper tie but I didn't think it was an issue since he's gaining and I haven't had prolonged pain. Maybe I should ask his pedi to check it too?

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 7:40 AM
He doesn't have a tongue tie but his upper frenulum looks a bit large to me. I didn't think it was an issue since he hasn't had issues with gaining and I had no prolonged pain. I can ask his pedi to look at it. Is there anything I should do to change my diet if it is reflux?

Quoting melindabelcher: This is exactly what I was going to ask. Check for a tongue and lip tie?
It sounds very much mike reflux to me. Which can be caused by the ties.
Also the difficulty latching sounds like ties

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this
We're in Okinawa :) I will try to see if I can did out more info on the chiropractors. I've never been to one so I have no idea what's what lol. I just thought they were expensive in the states so I never went to one although I certainly would love to go haha. I will keep trying to wear him when I can. I usually don't go out much except to get groceries and I haven't needed to wear him I the house because he usually will sit in his swing or rocker sleeping or in my arms between feedings... Until nightfall and then he isn't happy anywhere. Usually if I try to wear him when he's awake he stretches his legs out and arches back and gets really mad lol. Maybe if I try to wear him more he will get comfortable with it. He does take a paci to sleep with, but he won't take it much if he's awake or not sleepy. I've been trying the bicycling legs and that seems to be hit or miss... Some nights he is okay with it and others he stiffens up and won't let me :/

Quoting GodsAmiga:

Where in Japan are you? I'm in Japan too. :-) i've been told that the chiropractors off-base here are very reasonably priced. You can look for a base page on facebook and try asking if anyone has used one or knows of one.I agree with trying to wear him. My third had colic and acid reflux and wearing him in my Boba was magic! :-) Also slowly pedaling the legs while he is on his back and sometimes switching to pressing both legs up towards the armpits and then back to pedaling them can help as well. Mine was also helped with the binky. If yours has acid reflux or silent reflux they can help a lot. When they get that acid feeling they want to suck to soothe it but then nursing and getting more milk when their tummy is already full can make things worse but the more they feel the acid feeling the more they want to suck. I gave mine a paci then and he was able to suck without getting too much milk.

Quoting Mrs.Pedro: I meant when he still was passing meconium and only getting colostrum he seemed very gassy, but he seemed to be able to easily pass the gas. He doesn't seem to pass the gas as easily after my milk came in.... Sorry for the confusion lol. I don't think I have an overactive let down... He does dribble milk sometimes but he doesn't arch back. I wouldn't begin to know where to find a chiropractor as I'm in Japan and they don't have them in military clinics. I wear him if I can get him to... If I put him in awake he fights being in it and cries the whole time, and sometimes he wakes up in it quickly. I wish he loved it lol.
Quoting Precious333: 1 month is a hard age! First off, meconium is tar like poop and by 1 month I highly doubt you are making only colostrum Second, their digestion systems are so new, so gassiness is normal. Do you have overactive letdown? This will contribute to the gassiness. I personally wouldnt do the gas drops, it seems like its not working. Third. You may need to burp longer and try different burping positions to get those stubborn burps. Have you considered taking him to a chiropractor? That may help. Do you babywear him at all? My first was a high needs baby, babywearing saved me! Lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)