Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

clogged duct........first time ever

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:40 AM
  • 7 Replies
I am holding warm compress with hot water in a diaper, resting, drinking water, pumping good side and feeding on affected side. I don't want mastitis!! I'm afraid of taking meds. What do you do when you get one, those of you that have experienced this of course.....

Oh and I made a dr appt just in case it gets worse.
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:14 PM
One thing more you can do--dangle nursing. Lay baby down, you get on your hands and knees over him and let breasts hang. No need for doctor unless you develop flu-like symptoms.
thriftymom35
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:28 PM
Quoting MusherMaggie: One thing more you can do--dangle nursing. Lay baby down, you get on your hands and knees over him and let breasts hang. No need for doctor unless you develop flu-like symptoms.

Thank you! I canceled my appointment.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:35 PM
Take ibuprofen and use ice after feedings to reduce inflammation and allow the clog to move out. Heat should only be right before feeding/pumping for about 5 minutes. Massage the area of the clog as you're nursing from behind the clog toward the nipple.
GoodyBrook
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:56 PM

I have always popped lecithin supplements at the first sign of a clog, and it always works for me.  I don't know the science, but the lecithin thins the milk and makes it flow a bit easier...

Here's a link to the brand I keep on hand:  http://www.nowfoods.com/Lecithin-Extra-Strength-1200-mg-100-softgels.htm

sugareemommee
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 1:55 PM
I just got through one. I wore a sports bra too long, I did all you did plus massage between feedings. I work the whole boob since I didn't know where the duct fed out. And cold compresses after a feeding.

Mine was gone in 48 hours, you'll be fine. Nurse nurse nurse on that side but don't neglect your other side, just empty bad side every feeding.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 13, 2014 at 4:38 PM
This!

Quoting K8wizzo: Take ibuprofen and use ice after feedings to reduce inflammation and allow the clog to move out. Heat should only be right before feeding/pumping for about 5 minutes. Massage the area of the clog as you're nursing from behind the clog toward the nipple.
mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 5:45 PM
When I had a plugged duct, I held heat on for 5 minutes before nursing (as hot as I could stand), and then left it there while nursing- the heat had cooled to warm. AND massaged the area all while holding heat and nursing. A few sessions of that and it finally broke up and came out. I must have had a piece that was larger, as I could feel it come out. I literally felt better immediately- fever broke, etc.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)