Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Wondering if this is normal.

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 4:10 AM
  • 27 Replies

My 5 day old eats the most during the night. Small very frequent feedings. It seems like he doesnt get full. I try to wait until he is attached but I feel like I have to get him quiet quick before he wakes the whole house up (he has yet to do that).

Just wondering if there was any way to kick the clusterfeeding at night.

and why does all the insecurities pop up at night? Is this some type of rule where a new breastfeeding mom gets all the insecurites once everyone goes to bed & they are the only ones up with a crying newborn?

Proud mommy of 1 special angel and 2 boys :-) I am love animals, dogs & horses are my favorites. I am the kind of person that you would consider weird and that is okay by me :D I am interested in the why of things not just the how. I also ask the most random questions like why is it considered littering when it is biodegradable?
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 4:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
justone_jen
by Jen on Mar. 14, 2014 at 4:13 AM
1 mom liked this
You don't kick cluster feeding. He's helping establish your supply. Just nurse on demand and count diapers. That's it. You're doing fine. :)

And the insecurities are normal. The first month is rough. Just hang in there, mama. We're here to support you.
JRSMOM0621
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 4:16 AM

I was afraid someone would tell me that. *sigh* this sucks, guess its one of those things I'll have to relearn all over again, Life without sleep! He actually was doing well up till yesterday with diapers. I need to make a chart somewhere I will see it and count the diapers and feeding times. It was so much easier when you had to write it down @ the hospital

Quoting justone_jen: You don't kick cluster feeding. He's helping establish your supply. Just nurse on demand and count diapers. That's it. You're doing fine. :) And the insecurities are normal. The first month is rough. Just hang in there, mama. We're here to support you.

Proud mommy of 1 special angel and 2 boys :-) I am love animals, dogs & horses are my favorites. I am the kind of person that you would consider weird and that is okay by me :D I am interested in the why of things not just the how. I also ask the most random questions like why is it considered littering when it is biodegradable?
justone_jen
by Jen on Mar. 14, 2014 at 4:25 AM
There are apps, too. I just set out six diapers a day on the ottoman. Don't forget poop counts for two.

It does suck, I'll agree. The first few months are sleepless, regardless. We bed shared from the start for that reason.

It really does get easier. I'm encouraging you to stick it out. You got this.

Quoting JRSMOM0621:

I was afraid someone would tell me that. *sigh* this sucks, guess its one of those things I'll have to relearn all over again, Life without sleep! He actually was doing well up till yesterday with diapers. I need to make a chart somewhere I will see it and count the diapers and feeding times. It was so much easier when you had to write it down @ the hospital

Quoting justone_jen: You don't kick cluster feeding. He's helping establish your supply. Just nurse on demand and count diapers. That's it. You're doing fine. :)

And the insecurities are normal. The first month is rough. Just hang in there, mama. We're here to support you.

Crob4
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 4:26 AM

Newborns cluster feed a lot the first month or so, especially at night.  Have you considered co-sleeping?  I doubt I would have survived the newborn stage if my baby was in another room or not in our bed where I could just latch them on and go back to sleep.

JRSMOM0621
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 4:27 AM

I keep reading that..what does that mean poop counts for 2. At the hosptial they never said anything which made things nerve wracking. I found the feeding apps that help me keep time of how much he is on my breasts but he falls asleep so quick that I am not even sure if it is worth the download.

Quoting justone_jen: There are apps, too. I just set out six diapers a day on the ottoman. Don't forget poop counts for two. It does suck, I'll agree. The first few months are sleepless, regardless. We bed shared from the start for that reason. It really does get easier. I'm encouraging you to stick it out. You got this.
Quoting JRSMOM0621:

Quoting justone_jen: You don't kick cluster feeding. He's helping establish your supply. Just nurse on demand and count diapers. That's it. You're doing fine. :) And the insecurities are normal. The first month is rough. Just hang in there, mama. We're here to support you.

JRSMOM0621
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 4:29 AM

I can only get him to latch in the cradle hold. I did try sleeping with our newborn but our bed is too small and my husband keeps telling me I'll roll over onto our newborn...whatever lol I am thinking I might have to put up the air mattress in the nursery so I can sleep with him instead of him in the rocking bassinet I hate.

Quoting Crob4:

Newborns cluster feed a lot the first month or so, especially at night.  Have you considered co-sleeping?  I doubt I would have survived the newborn stage if my baby was in another room or not in our bed where I could just latch them on and go back to sleep.

justone_jen
by Jen on Mar. 14, 2014 at 4:31 AM
If you change his diaper and there's poop, that counts for 2/6 diapers.

Don't time feedings, that will drive you mad. Some babies are more efficient at milk removal than others.

Setting out six is probably the easiest way.

Quoting JRSMOM0621:

I keep reading that..what does that mean poop counts for 2. At the hosptial they never said anything which made things nerve wracking. I found the feeding apps that help me keep time of how much he is on my breasts but he falls asleep so quick that I am not even sure if it is worth the download.

Quoting justone_jen: There are apps, too. I just set out six diapers a day on the ottoman. Don't forget poop counts for two.

It does suck, I'll agree. The first few months are sleepless, regardless. We bed shared from the start for that reason.

Quoting JRSMOM0621:

Quoting justone_jen: You don't kick cluster feeding. He's helping establish your supply. Just nurse on demand and count diapers. That's it. You're doing fine. :)

TurtleMami
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 4:32 AM
Not sure what the poop thing means...

My son STILL nurses while half asleep. Have you tried side lying nursing? It is AMAZING when it comes to getting some rest. Only do so if you feel comfortable that you won't roll over, though. (Althougj momma bear instincts will probably prevent you from doing so.)

Quoting JRSMOM0621:

Quoting justone_jen: There are apps, too. I just set out six diapers a day on the ottoman. Don't forget poop counts for two.

Quoting JRSMOM0621:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 14, 2014 at 4:33 AM

A poopy diaper counts as two diaper changes because it likely has both pee AND poop. I agree with Jen's suggestion of setting out 6 diapers. If they're all gone at the end of 24 hours, you're gone. If there's an extra wet or poopy diaper, take one from the stack and put it away.

JRSMOM0621
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 4:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Ah that makes sense now. Thank you.

Quoting aehanrahan:

A poopy diaper counts as two diaper changes because it likely has both pee AND poop. I agree with Jen's suggestion of setting out 6 diapers. If they're all gone at the end of 24 hours, you're gone. If there's an extra wet or poopy diaper, take one from the stack and put it away.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN