Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Exhausted first time breastfeeding mom

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:59 AM
  • 15 Replies
My son is 3 1/2 weeks old.

I am beyond exhausted...and frustrated...and currently in tears.

He has been miserable and crying no matter how much I feed him. He's fine AS I'm nursing him...but is now starting to spit up quite a bit, I think from eating to much.
He sleeps about 3 hour gaps during the day, but at night it's just about constant nursing. And the little (45 minutes at a time) that he does sleep at night, he'll only sleep on my chest. So I am getting ZERO sleep.

I don't have the option to nap..I have a 3 year old..and husband works weekends.

I am seriously considering giving him formula at night and I really don't want to. But I'm going to go crazy!! I don't want to be this run down exhausted mom who is in a terrible mood! (My poor 3 year old!)
My other son was sleeping 6-7 hours a night at this point and he was formula fed.

Please talk me out of supplementing!!

Please give me some ideas/help with what I can do for him? Hope..encouraging words..anything?

Thank you all!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NHGal
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:02 AM
Every baby is different. I know how exhausting it can be, I have a nearly 17 month old that doesn't sleep well. Hang in there. I'm not going to talk you out of anything because each person is different and have different outcomes they want.
Is there family or friends that could come over to give you a break?
K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:05 AM
Try to feed him more often during the day. For now, as a survival technique, take a nap during the day while baby is sleeping and put disney jr on for your 3 year old.
JackAttacks
by Angel on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:09 AM
I know where you are right now is super exhausting but it will get better. This too shall pass.
Y2kmomma
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:09 AM
I really want to exclusively breastfeed...but I don't think I can take this not sleeping at all.

No family really...

Quoting NHGal: Every baby is different. I know how exhausting it can be, I have a nearly 17 month old that doesn't sleep well. Hang in there. I'm not going to talk you out of anything because each person is different and have different outcomes they want.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:10 AM
My family survives on sandwiches and cereal until we get over that hump. With all 4 of my babies, the 3 week growth spurt has been a mutha, the lowest of low points. I barely remember moments at that stage where the baby wasn't attached to the breast. That fussy neediness is exactly the way they place their huge dinner order and drive your supply up. It gets better I swear. But at 3 weeks I not only want to give up breastfeeding, I also start having delusional fantasies of hitch hiking in the middle of the night to the Florida Keys.
NHGal
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:12 AM
Does your 3yo nap or have a friend to have a play date with? I know the not sleeping part is horrible, but at some point you get use to it. Don't be afraid to ask someone for help.

Quoting Y2kmomma: I really want to exclusively breastfeed...but I don't think I can take this not sleeping at all.

No family really...

Quoting NHGal: Every baby is different. I know how exhausting it can be, I have a nearly 17 month old that doesn't sleep well. Hang in there. I'm not going to talk you out of anything because each person is different and have different outcomes they want.
LatchTheBaby
by on May. 19, 2014 at 1:22 AM

Your son is exhibiting classic cluster-feeding.  At about 3 weeks, breastfed babies go through this phase as their little body's are going through a growth spurt.  This requires "loading up" on calories, which means lots of time at the breast with mama.  This is hands down the most trying time for many moms.  During cluster feeding a baby can feed every 20 minutes for three 2-3 hours. And yes, baby's are up more often during the night, just as when you were pregnant, remember?  I bet you felt your little guy dancing around at night while you were trying to sleep, yes?  NewB nights are not easy but you can do it! Your body was MADE to do this, hun.  Cluster feeds usually last about 1 week at a time.  Some tips: wake up baby more often -not going for more than 2 hours while sleeping during the day.  I know it's tempting to tip-toe and let him stay asleep but if he's resting all day, he'll be up all night. 

Also, it's unfair to compare breastfed baby's to formula fed babies.  Breastfed baby's are up so often because your milk is perfect for him -he digests it almost instantly and his little tummy can handle it.  Formula takes longer to digest, has larger proteins and is just not the same as breastmilk.

You Can Do THIS! :-)

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on May. 19, 2014 at 1:34 AM
Hugs mama! I agree with all these suggestions. Live off of easy meals, your only jobs is nursing and everyone has food (even if it means ordering pizza!) Wake him to eat during the day may help him sleep more and eat less at night (switching those three hour stretches to the night time).

Also, do you babywear? That will help during the day. If your 3 yr old naps, try and nap. If not, have quiet time.

Can you hire a mother's helper?

How is your night time sleeping situation? Is it possible to cosleep? That is what saved my sanity.
jjchick75
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2014 at 1:44 AM
3 weeks with all of mine has been the worst! It's a growth spurt time and that was also about the time my oversupply and over active letdown started and it was always a bad combination! Don't supplement, it's tempting but not only is bad for supply it could really screw up his stomach and make him even more fussy. When you nurse him during the day recline to slow the flow. As far as at night that's just part of having a newborn. I know very little got done after my youngest was born for about 6 weeks or maybe more and my older kids(I have 5, 5& under) watched a lot of TV. You can do this! Everything he is doing is normal and even better it will pass :) *hugs*
incheck4real
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 2:25 AM
I wish I could give you a hug! I know where you are right now and it hard. The first 6 weeks are the worst. I say to definitely co-sleep even get your 3 year old in the bed with you if it helps you get sleep. I would also baby wear and make life as simple as possible for the next 3 weeks.

You are doing an amazing job just keep it up. You are going to be amazed at how much easier it will get.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN