Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Thoughts/Advice? Fussy, Gassy, Baby

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:22 PM
  • 5 Replies

Warning - This is going to be long

Baby - 7 weeks old today

Birth Weight Jan 25 - 7lbs 13oz

Discharge Weight Jan 26 7lbs 8oz

5 day weight - 7lbs 11.5oz

2 Weeks - 8lbs 6.4oz

1 month - 11lbs

Obviously weight gain is great. He hasn't been weighed in a few weeks, but I know he is gaining as he is growing out of clothes.

Output

Urine - 9+ soaking wet diapers per 24 hours, plus usually get peed on while changing at least a couple of diapers a day :) 

Poop - Since 1 month and up until yesterday maybe one full poopy diaper per day, or every other day, mustard yellow, seedy, smells like popcorn butter :) Yesterday had two very small poops that were "normal" but then one that was yellow but not as bright yellow, but smelled horrible and just didn't look right.

Nurses on demand, sometimes every 30 minutes other times every 2hrs, only at night will go 3-4 hrs sometimes without nursing.  

Concern: For six weeks he was a mostly content baby... but this last week that has all changed. Lots of inconsolable crying, won't latch on and nurse at times, pops off breast screaming at times. Will not stay asleep for longer than 15 minutes. Hard, bloated tummy, spitting up more. 

Overactive Letdown? My let down may be fast at first, but when he pops off I dont continue leaking/spraying milk. He doesn't have lots of slimey, green diapers. Also after about 10 minutes of nursing many times he is obviously frustrated and if I switch sides he eats happily for a few minutes and then is done. 

Dairy Allergy? I don't know, but as of yesterday started dairy free.

Reflux? I don't know. I cut caffeine... 

Virus? So last night my 9.5yr old started throwing up, with diarrhea, aches and chills, so now I wonder if baby could have a tummy bug and all this worry is for nothing. Baby has not had a fever or throwing up (some spit up).

Based on what I have said can you please help me rule out any of these or give me other symptoms I should look for to figure out his tummy issues? Thanks

by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:25 PM
Could be a bug :( or growth spurt maybe
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Quoting mikkosmommy:

Warning - This is going to be long

Baby - 7 weeks old today

Birth Weight Jan 25 - 7lbs 13oz

Discharge Weight Jan 26 7lbs 8oz

5 day weight - 7lbs 11.5oz

2 Weeks - 8lbs 6.4oz

1 month - 11lbs

Obviously weight gain is great. He hasn't been weighed in a few weeks, but I know he is gaining as he is growing out of clothes.

Output

Urine - 9+ soaking wet diapers per 24 hours, plus usually get peed on while changing at least a couple of diapers a day :) 

Poop - Since 1 month and up until yesterday maybe one full poopy diaper per day, or every other day, mustard yellow, seedy, smells like popcorn butter :) Yesterday had two very small poops that were "normal" but then one that was yellow but not as bright yellow, but smelled horrible and just didn't look right.

Nurses on demand, sometimes every 30 minutes other times every 2hrs, only at night will go 3-4 hrs sometimes without nursing.  

Concern: For six weeks he was a mostly content baby... but this last week that has all changed. Lots of inconsolable crying, won't latch on and nurse at times, pops off breast screaming at times. Will not stay asleep for longer than 15 minutes. Hard, bloated tummy, spitting up more. 

Overactive Letdown? My let down may be fast at first, but when he pops off I dont continue leaking/spraying milk. He doesn't have lots of slimey, green diapers. Also after about 10 minutes of nursing many times he is obviously frustrated and if I switch sides he eats happily for a few minutes and then is done. 

Everything you've written above SCREAMS letdown and too much swallowed air and an need to at least start reclined. Doesn't matter that you don't spray at latch-off. I didn't either but absolutely had a fast letdown issue.

Everything also screams six week growth spurt, and you were darned lucky up to this point. The piper has shown up for his payment now. **grin**

Dairy Allergy? I don't know, but as of yesterday started dairy free.

Reflux? I don't know. I cut caffeine... 

Virus? So last night my 9.5yr old started throwing up, with diarrhea, aches and chills, so now I wonder if baby could have a tummy bug and all this worry is for nothing. Baby has not had a fever or throwing up (some spit up).

Based on what I have said can you please help me rule out any of these or give me other symptoms I should look for to figure out his tummy issues? Thanks

The only real trouble sign I see is the poop, and that does indeed sound like a bug.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:41 PM
Overactive letdown/oversupply, judging by the phenomenal weight gain. We look for one pound per month from lowest weight after birth; he's done 2 1/2 times that!

Try reclining to nurse; you lean back, he goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple. If you need to, try block feeding; use one breast for a few hours/feedings, then the other for the next few. More about OAL/oversupply on kellymom.com, with additional tips for managing.

Doesn't really sound like dairy allergy; it usually is accompanied by diaper rash and/or eczema. You can have oversupply without necessarily spraying. If he does turn up with the bug, just keep nursing--it's the best thing for him! :-)

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 15, 2014 at 2:55 PM
My guess is a combo of oal for the gassiness, regulation and growth spurt for the fussiness, and tummy bug for the poop. I don't see anything here that screams reflux or dairy allergy. My kids had to deal with tongue ties, oal, dairy, and reflux and it took awhile to unravel all of the symptoms.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 15, 2014 at 3:53 PM
With that overzealous weight gain my first thought was oversupply/OAL. throw in perfect timing on the 6 week growth spurt and you have the fussy baby we'd expect. Start with kellymom.com for tips on managing the OAL and adjust further from there, if necessary. That might do the trick.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)