Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

extended BFers- how do YOU do it?

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:00 AM
  • 31 Replies

LO is 18m. and never had a drop of cows milk except when shes taken bites of my cereal. 

I guess what I mean by my title is are you "all in"- BF and nothing else?

Do you give cups of milk in additon to nursing?

Only gets milk when its cooked into something?

Ive started considering giving cows milk *or almold* and begin weaning but the guilt gets to me every time (pretty sure Ive posted about it before actually). 

Emotionally im done but then I think about her. Shes no where near done and I should be able to push through for the benefits shell get.

If I begin giving cows milk will it even satisfy her? Or will she drink it then still demand to nurse? 

by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:20 AM
I also have an 18 month old. She has a small up of cows milk on occasion.- usually when the big kids have it. She also gets mostly water with a little juice to flavor a few times a day.

Offering additional "drinks" doesn't mean you have to begin weaning. We still nurse everything time she wants. But she does go to the cabinet and point to her cups and says ju mommy ju.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:24 AM
We nursed on demand until 20 months when I nightweaned, then continued to nurse on demand until 2. At 2, I started don't offer don't refuse and offered almond milk (allergies) or othe calcium sources on days he didn't nurse 3 times, which was rare. At 27 months, I limited him to wake ups and lay downs. Throughout the rest of his third year he slowly weaned. Sometimes he was okay with a snack and drink instead of nursing, other times he wasn't happy with that.
isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:24 AM

My son is 21 months. He gets cows milk, almond milk (he loves this), a little juice, and water. I dont nurse him enough for him to only get liquids from me.

Careeka22
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:25 AM

My DD is no longer nursing right now, she weaned at 2 years 8 months due to my pregnancy and drying up. But prior to that I would offer her regular milk and she would also get it at daycare. However she didn't actually start liking other milks until closer to 2. She mostly got it at daycare since I wasn't there for her to nurse on but honestly even with her getting that it did nothing to slow her down. It is up to you, she doesn't "need" that milk but if she likes it and if gives you a break here and there it won't hurt her. Now that she is fully weaned she loves milk, just like her dad. Weaning is hard, I am convinced not much will help if the baby is still invested other than doing it slowly. Good luck!

Howardx5
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Quoting Careeka22:

My DD is no longer nursing right now, she weaned at 2 years 8 months due to my pregnancy and drying up. But prior to that I would offer her regular milk and she would also get it at daycare. However she didn't actually start liking other milks until closer to 2. She mostly got it at daycare since I wasn't there for her to nurse on but honestly even with her getting that it did nothing to slow her down. It is up to you, she doesn't "need" that milk but if she likes it and if gives you a break here and there it won't hurt her. Now that she is fully weaned she loves milk, just like her dad. Weaning is hard, I am convinced not much will help if the baby is still invested other than doing it slowly. Good luck!

this is what im afraid of. shes very determined to nurse. A LOT. If im not home she does fine, but it catches up to me later when I am home, she nurses even more. 

On a normal day she nurses first thing in the morning, again after she gets her breakfast (eggs, toast, whatever), before morning nap, after morning nap, before and after afternoon nap. after dinner, before bed, and AT LEAST once in the night. So a minimum of 9 times a day. Even more if shes sick, cranky, if its been a hectic day with errands, or if i had to leave her for a few hours.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:39 AM
That sounds pretty typical for her age.

Quoting Howardx5:
Quoting Careeka22:

this is what im afraid of. shes very determined to nurse. A LOT. If im not home she does fine, but it catches up to me later when I am home, she nurses even more. 

On a normal day she nurses first thing in the morning, again after she gets her breakfast (eggs, toast, whatever), before morning nap, after morning nap, before and after afternoon nap. after dinner, before bed, and AT LEAST once in the night. So a minimum of 9 times a day. Even more if shes sick, cranky, if its been a hectic day with errands, or if i had to leave her for a few hours.

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:42 AM

15 months and nurse on demand.  He nurses in the morning, lunch, around 3, before bed, and throughout the night.  I give water and he nurses.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Once my babies are eating solids and actually sitting down for meals (usually after or around 1 year) I offer a drink with their meal.  That way they start learning to use a cup.  We drink water at most meals, and once they master the cup, they get the occasional cup of milk.  (Water is less of a mess to clean up when they are still learning).

I would say do whatever is convenient and works for you!

pinkfairy0206
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:43 AM
I nursed all 4 of my kids, but only extended b.f. with my son. He was 32 months when he stopped. This past August. He ate regularly but still wanted to nurse lol
MissSarah04
by Sarah on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:44 AM
We slowly introduced other types of milk. My DD has almond milk with her cereal or oatmeal and occasionally a glass to drink. She is 2 now and also has a drink of my cow milk sometimes but I don't want her drinking much since cow milk is not nutritionally made for humans. I've tried to switch myself to no milk or almond but it's been hard.

Anyway, we still nurse a few times a day. Sometimes more. Sometimes less. I'm also 21 weeks prego so she mostly nurses for comfort now since there isn't much in there.

I'd say that until about 18 months my DD's nutrition was still about 70% breastmilk. She just wasn't that in to solids yet. I also pumped at work and she got breastmilk bottles until about 20 months.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)