Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Not BF related - but help?

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 3:19 PM
  • 9 Replies

Ds5 had pink eye about a week ago, and is finishing up his antibiotic drops. Dd's eye started watering a lot last night with discharge. When dh changed her diaper last night, it was crusted shut and I had to wipe her eye. The other one is doing the same thing, just not as bad.

Her eye isn't pink or red, but I'm a little concerned with this discharge. Any advice? Should I call her doctor? She'll be 2 months old on the 30th.

by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 3:20 PM
Put some milk in it every two hours or so. If it doesn't get better take her in. She probably won't need antibiotics, but it's good to have it checked out just in case.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 17, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Pinkeye is highly contagious so yes, I'd be concerned and be on the phone. You can drop some breastmilk in her eyes for now.

besosfantasies
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 3:27 PM

I was thinking perhaps her eyes got irritated by something.. but I'm no expert with babies and pink eye if that's the case.

Thank you for the advice! I'll start right away :)

Quoting polkaspots: Put some milk in it every two hours or so. If it doesn't get better take her in. She probably won't need antibiotics, but it's good to have it checked out just in case.

besosfantasies
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Thank you.

Quoting gdiamante:

Pinkeye is highly contagious so yes, I'd be concerned and be on the phone. You can drop some breastmilk in her eyes for now.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 3:34 PM
It is possible, but since your older one just had it it's more likely she caught it from him. Milk in the eye will help prevent infection if it's just irritated, so either way it's a good idea. By tomorrow or the next day I would take her in if it gets worse instead of getting better.

Quoting besosfantasies:

I was thinking perhaps her eyes got irritated by something.. but I'm no expert with babies and pink eye if that's the case.

Quoting polkaspots: Put some milk in it every two hours or so. If it doesn't get better take her in. She probably won't need antibiotics, but it's good to have it checked out just in case.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 5:11 PM
Drops of breastmilk in her eyes. I've seen it work faster than the antibiotic drops, which can sometimes be irritating.
besosfantasies
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 7:41 PM

I had my husband make an appointment a few minutes ago considering it usually takes them a day to get our kids in, just in case. Thank you.

Quoting polkaspots: It is possible, but since your older one just had it it's more likely she caught it from him. Milk in the eye will help prevent infection if it's just irritated, so either way it's a good idea. By tomorrow or the next day I would take her in if it gets worse instead of getting better.
Quoting besosfantasies:

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 7:42 PM
I hope her eye clears up.

Quoting besosfantasies:

I had my husband make an appointment a few minutes ago considering it usually takes them a day to get our kids in, just in case. Thank you.

Quoting polkaspots: It is possible, but since your older one just had it it's more likely she caught it from him. Milk in the eye will help prevent infection if it's just irritated, so either way it's a good idea. By tomorrow or the next day I would take her in if it gets worse instead of getting better.
Quoting besosfantasies:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
besosfantasies
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Good to know! I told dh about breastmilk to help it and he thought I was crazy/lying lol. We FF with ds so the breastmilk remedy is still all new :)

Quoting MusherMaggie: Drops of breastmilk in her eyes. I've seen it work faster than the antibiotic drops, which can sometimes be irritating.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN