Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

4 month old have issues!

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 6:38 AM
  • 5 Replies

A little background... Quit breastfeeding my first after 2 weeks bc of a latch issue, NO ONE told me nipple shields even existed so I pumped until 6 weeks, getting at most 2 ounces per breast and couldn't take it anymore. Had second baby and was very determined to be successful this time... Supplemented a little bit in the beginning bc milk took forever to come in and have suffered with low supply, Nipple shield until 3 months, all was going well from 3-4 months..... Came to visit my family for a week where we were out and about a lot so we tried supplementing for about 1 feeding a day and now baby girl wants nothing to do with breastfeeding.

I'm distraught, we worked so hard! Is it just a phase? When we get home and back into a routine will she perhaps be more willing to return to breastfeeding? I'm also worried bc she was 8lbs at birth and only 12 pounds before our trip. Could she just be starving from my low supply and simply preferring the formula bc I'm not giving her enough? I feel like a total failure. :( finishing up a 30'day supply of reglan.... Seemed to help in the beginning but I think I'm not producing much again, especially after this week of supplementing :(

by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 6:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
melindabelcher
by mel on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this
#1 babies should gain 1lb a month from lowest (not birth) weight. youve reported 4lbs gained in 4 months from birth which means shes gained more then 4lbs in 4 months. So shes gained more then expected.
#2 how big are the bottles? How often?
#3 of course she prefers the fast, easy, no work of the bottle over the breast that she has to work for.
Have you been pumping for each feeding shes getting bottles? What makes you think you have low supply, it's impossible for baby to gain better then minimum with a mom with a low supply.
melindabelcher
by mel on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:04 AM
What led you to take reglan? How were diapers?
Why aren't you just nursing while out?
Nothing is permanent, except cutting off your breats :)
Baby can get back to breast :)
MinaPR
by Mina on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:08 AM

Weight expectations are a pound per month, so it seems your DD was doing fine on your milk alone. Do not take Reglan, side effects are terrible. If you're not a diabetic and are not pregnant, take fenugreek , brewer's yeast and/or Domperidone (same as Reglan without the nasty side effects). Eat oatmeal, sesame seeds and drink a lot of water.

Take a nursing holiday, no bottles, no supplementing. Skin to skin and offer the breast all day. Wear the baby in a sling on your bare chest all day. Nurse, nurse, nurse!!! Your supply can come back with a little effort, but the it is the baby's job and she can only do it by feeding very frequently. Good luck, you can do this!!!

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:28 AM

I also want to point out that getting 2oz per breast was MORE than enough pumped.  .5-2oz BOTH breast is NORMAL pump output for a MISSED feeding.  

The only way to tell low supply is to watch diapers.  I think you think there's a supply problem where there is none. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Quoting November2513:

A little background... Quit breastfeeding my first after 2 weeks bc of a latch issue, NO ONE told me nipple shields even existed so I pumped until 6 weeks, getting at most 2 ounces per breast and couldn't take it anymore.

Rule 1. With every pregnancy,. the previous children "cease to exist." Blank slate. 

Had second baby and was very determined to be successful this time... Supplemented a little bit in the beginning bc milk took forever to come in and have suffered with low supply,

Milke normally takes up to six days, and supplementing actually makes the process take longer. Baby's designed to take next to nothing in that first week. I mention it so you can note it if there's a third baby.

Nipple shield until 3 months, all was going well from 3-4 months..... Came to visit my family for a week where we were out and about a lot so we tried supplementing for about 1 feeding a day and now baby girl wants nothing to do with breastfeeding.

Not surprising. She wants the ease of the bottle. Make the bottle a pain in her butt. Slowest flow NEWBORN/PREEMIE nipple. Two ounces only in that bottle, NO MORE. Hold her upright as you feed, bottle parallel to the floor. Let her have one ounce ONLY. Stop, put the bottle down, give her a real good burping. Then try offering the breast. If she won't take it, then follow with the second ounce precisely as with the first. Then offer the breast again.

Every time you offer the breast make sure you're hand expressing milk on the nipple and let her taste and smell it. The idea is to make the breast really really easy and the bottle becomes far less desirable as a result.

I'm distraught, we worked so hard! Is it just a phase? When we get home and back into a routine will she perhaps be more willing to return to breastfeeding?

Yes, that will also help. 

I'm also worried bc she was 8lbs at birth and only 12 pounds before our trip.

12 pounds is preceisely where she should have been. NOT an only.

Could she just be starving from my low supply

HELL NO.

and simply preferring the formula bc I'm not giving her enough?

She's preferring the formula because it's easy. Don't make it easy. Make it HARD.

I feel like a total failure. :( f

Have you personally choked the life out of her? If not, you don't wqualify for the failure badge.

'inishing up a 30'day supply of reglan.... Seemed to help in the beginning but I think I'm not producing much again, especially after this week of supplementing :(

Dump the reglan, work to get the baby to breast. And in the future, NO bottles if you are present. NONE, for any reason. Be strict about this. You are allowed to nurse wherever you are legally allowed to be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)