Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

quit pumping as much supply drop.

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:18 AM
  • 7 Replies
So I ebf and also pump to store milk in the freezer. I always pump if she has a bottle of expressed milk while I'm away and for safe measure pump every 2-3 hours while I'm away. Well I basicly got to where I was able to pump about 4-5 extra 5 oz bottles a day while ebf in top of that. I was going crazy having to pump then ebf so I backed off pump sessions from 8 pumps a day to 3. 1 in the morning 1 mid day and 1 befor bed. My supply has droped some but she is well fed ebf and I am still producing enough for an extra 3 5oz bottles by pumping. I'm worried my supply is going to drop to much. Is this a good milk output? I've always been told that however much is expressed is what is produced. But I just wanted to be sure.
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:35 AM
Your supply is just regulating to meet demand which is normal. Baby will always get what they need but over time your body learns to not be tricked as easily by the pump.
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:37 AM
Also 5 oz is 2-3 full feedings. Bottles (especially if it's a regular thing) should never be bigger than 2-3oz for baby. (1-1.25oz per hour). Normal pump output is .5-2pz per session. Anything more is phenomenal and overachieving.

You were pumping an extra days worth of feedings before! I see no reason for concern.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:43 AM
Exactly what audmom said!
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:51 AM
3 moms liked this
Agree with audmom. Also want to note that what you can or can't express has *nothing* to tell about what you actually produce or what baby can transfer. After the first month I can't pump enough to cover the bottom of a bottle but I've breastfed 4 babies without a drop of supplement so obviously the milk is there.
amberNewman0213
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:46 AM
Yea in the mornings alone when I woke up after feeding her I was also pumping out about 12-14 oz. Now it's about 10-12oz! I just store it in 5oz bags so I'm not using so many storage bags. She is 6 weeks and I have well over 200oz stored up. I respond very well to a pump getting 2 letdowns almost everytime. Im thinking of donating some if it keeps as is.

Quoting audmom1218: Also 5 oz is 2-3 full feedings. Bottles (especially if it's a regular thing) should never be bigger than 2-3oz for baby. (1-1.25oz per hour). Normal pump output is .5-2pz per session. Anything more is phenomenal and overachieving.

You were pumping an extra days worth of feedings before! I see no reason for concern.
amberNewman0213
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:48 AM
Yea I fortunately respond very well to a pump. But it sucks having to lug it around if i will be gone for more than 5 hours cause infer engorged that why I quit pumping so much.

Quoting mostlymaydays: Agree with audmom. Also want to note that what you can or can't express has *nothing* to tell about what you actually produce or what baby can transfer. After the first month I can't pump enough to cover the bottom of a bottle but I've breastfed 4 babies without a drop of supplement so obviously the milk is there.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:31 PM
It will keep up as long as you are encouraging that oversupply. You body thinks you're feeding 2 babies. As long as your baby isn't suffering from oversupply (fussy gassy colic behavior) and you have the time and passion to pump, then donating is a great idea. On the flip side there are techniques to tame oversupply so you don't get engorged and your supply matches baby's demand.

Quoting amberNewman0213: Yea in the mornings alone when I woke up after feeding her I was also pumping out about 12-14 oz. Now it's about 10-12oz! I just store it in 5oz bags so I'm not using so many storage bags. She is 6 weeks and I have well over 200oz stored up. I respond very well to a pump getting 2 letdowns almost everytime. Im thinking of donating some if it keeps as is.

Quoting audmom1218: Also 5 oz is 2-3 full feedings. Bottles (especially if it's a regular thing) should never be bigger than 2-3oz for baby. (1-1.25oz per hour). Normal pump output is .5-2pz per session. Anything more is phenomenal and overachieving.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)