Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

need help boosting my milk!

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:17 PM
  • 31 Replies
Hi I'm a first time mommy and I have been breastfeed my 5 1/2 month old without a problem till now. I had noticed when I feed him every 3 hours his feedings were shorter which was fine. Now when my baby latches on he sucks and sucks and starts crying like it's not enough. I switch breast but it's the same thing. I try to calm him down and try again. For this reason is why I think my supply is low so I would like to know what I can do to increase it. Things I have tried are drinking a lot of water, eating oatmeal, pumping, and I'm desperate so I'm trying the feeding him every two hours. When he is calm I try to let him stay as long as possible on the breast bit he begins to bite!
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:22 PM
Is he getting any bottles? Unless you've been supplementing with formula and skipping feedings, it's very very unlikely that your supply is low. It sounds to me like it's either flow preference from a bottle or teething.
robibuni
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:25 PM
What's his diaper output look like?
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this
The more he nurses through it the more your body will start to make, sometimes it takes time to catch up. Also, it could he teething and not a supply issue at all. How are diaper counts? Are you only nursing, no formula and no solids? Does he ever get bottles?

Some additional ways to support milk supply are fenugreek, mothers milk tea, lactation cookies and staying hydrated.
luvn_mummy
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:34 PM
Quoting stepconfused182: Is he getting any bottles? Unless you've been supplementing with formula and skipping feedings, it's very very unlikely that your supply is low. It sounds to me like it's either flow preference from a bottle or teething.

He hasn't gotten any bottles yet but I'm almost to the point o of supplementing w formula because even when I pump I hardly get anyilk I will be lucky to get 2oz
luvn_mummy
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:35 PM
Quoting robibuni: What's his diaper output look like?

He has a lot of wet diapers but only has bowel movments every couple of days
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Getting 2 oz is actually great output. However, pump output tells you NOTHING about what your baby is able to get from you. If you're doing at least 5 diaper changes a day, he's getting plenty. You can't gauge supply by baby's behavior.

Quoting luvn_mummy:
Quoting stepconfused182: Is he getting any bottles? Unless you've been supplementing with formula and skipping feedings, it's very very unlikely that your supply is low. It sounds to me like it's either flow preference from a bottle or teething.

He hasn't gotten any bottles yet but I'm almost to the point o of supplementing w formula because even when I pump I hardly get anyilk I will be lucky to get 2oz
nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Pump output is not an indicator of supply.
I can't even pump half an oz from both breasts and have been breastfeeding for 14m now.

Quoting luvn_mummy:

nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:38 PM
Sounds like your supply is perfect then. Lexi only pooped 3x a week until she started solids.

Quoting luvn_mummy:

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:38 PM
Then he's getting plenty. Don't supplement. It's not necessary. What you're seeing is a combo of growth spurt behavior and teething. Just keep nursing and it will pass. I know it's frustrating. My son is 4 months old and had a very typical frustrating 3 month growth spurt. It doesn't last long. Just keep nursing.

Quoting luvn_mummy:

luvn_mummy
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:39 PM
Quoting Precious333: The more he nurses through it the more your body will start to make, sometimes it takes time to catch up. Also, it could he teething and not a supply issue at all. How are diaper counts? Are you only nursing, no formula and no solids? Does he ever get bottles?

Some additional ways to support milk supply are fenugreek, mothers milk tea, lactation cookies and staying hydrated.

I am only nursing no bottles at all. He has plenty of wet diapers. I had just tried starting him on cereal but he hates it he gags and spits it out. I am not consistently giving him solids though I mainly try it once in the mornings. Thanks for the list of things to try do you know if I can find them anywhere or is it a specific place?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)