Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My four week old grunts in his sleep and doesn't stop!! What is he doing?!

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2014 at 8:41 AM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this
I can barely sleep myself because he is so loud and because I'm worried about him! Any other babies do this or should I take him in to get checked? Thx๐Ÿ˜
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 23, 2014 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Both of mine did it. Dreaming, digesting. Unless his breathing seems to be impaired or he seems to be in pain, it's nothing to worry about.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 23, 2014 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep

Quoting MusherMaggie: Both of mine did it. Dreaming, digesting. Unless his breathing seems to be impaired or he seems to be in pain, it's nothing to worry about.
BrooklynsMom11
by Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Both my dd did that. They are trying their bowels. When they are new the don't know how to control their bowels. My dr said they trying going but don't relax their bottom muscles, hence the grunting. Should subside in a few weeks.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Mar. 23, 2014 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids did it until around the age of 2 months old. It does make it hard to sleep! It will pass though once his digestive system matures. The theory on why they do that is because they don't know how to relax their pelvic floor muscles and this causes some discomfort when passing gas and pooping.
Seximama23
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep my guy is 2 months and will scrunch his legs up and grunts in his sleep
MumB
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 6:54 AM
Good to know!! I had no idea! Why do they do it when they are sound asleep I wonder? Or maybe he just wants me to think he is๐Ÿ˜œ...he will grunt for a while with his eyes shut...is there any way to get them to relax those muscles to be able to poop? Or do they just have to figure it out on their own? And when can they start passing gas on their own? He has major gas issues and will cry all day because of it...poor thing. I can't remember when my first son was able to push it out in his own. Thx guys!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Seximama23
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 7:43 AM
I don't remember. Its been 5.5 years since my first lol. But currently I useless drops to help make it easier. A warm bath or cloth on the belly can help break up the bubbles too.

Quoting MumB: Good to know!! I had no idea! Why do they do it when they are sound asleep I wonder? Or maybe he just wants me to think he is๐Ÿ˜œ...he will grunt for a while with his eyes shut...is there any way to get them to relax those muscles to be able to poop? Or do they just have to figure it out on their own? And when can they start passing gas on their own? He has major gas issues and will cry all day because of it...poor thing. I can't remember when my first son was able to push it out in his own. Thx guys!!
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Try reclining when you nurse; you lean back, he goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple. This helps with overactive letdown so that he isn't overwhelmed by the flow and will not take in so much air.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 24, 2014 at 8:32 AM
All 4 of mine did that, especially while we both suffered the effects of oversupply and overactive letdown. It was considerably less of an issue with my younger 2 because I was taking steps to manage my oversupply issues. Newborn noises are always weird and alarming to me. ;-)
Lovin_mybaby5
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 8:35 AM
My now 6 month old did and still does it. Although it's not as loud as it was.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN