Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Bad advice on FB BF group..

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2014 at 11:20 AM
  • 10 Replies

A mom with "lactation problems" with a 3 week old, supplementing ever since coming home and pumping every 2 hours and getting 1.5 to 2 oz at a time. She says he is eating 3 oz every time he eats.

As a reply, someone said stop pumping every 2 hours since you aren't giving your body enough time to make milk in between.  This person who replied said she had OAL and it choked her baby during feedings so she just started EPing instead getting 10-14 oz each time she pumps.  Gushing about her baby (also 3 weeks old) eating 6oz every 3 hours and sleeping 10-12 hours at night.

I'm waiting for OP's reply about what kind of lactation problems she's having, but that just bothered me.

by on Mar. 23, 2014 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on Mar. 23, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Which group is it? That would bug me too. That kind of advice is dangerous to mom's supply!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 23, 2014 at 1:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Can you link the mom over here?

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 23, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

Can you link the mom over here?

shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 23, 2014 at 3:44 PM
2 moms liked this
What group is it? I'm part of a few and I normally cringe at the advice there. I try to send a pm to the moms, if they ask the question themselves instead of annon, to come here because they will get more help than just a bunch of randoms picking fights in their post.
MamaToCollin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 4:20 PM
Sorry for the delay. Here's an update. An IBCLC has joined the conversation and is steering her in the right direction.

Just needed to vent a little about that bad advice--which I did correct right after I read it!
MamaToCollin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 4:22 PM
And the group is called Women Interested in Breastfeeding.
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Has anyone told this mom that she is wrong? (The one who gave that "advice".)

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Mar. 23, 2014 at 5:28 PM
I hate seeing bad advice. I chimed in to a FB bfing group once when a mom said she couldn't keep up with her baby who was getting fed 6oz bottles at daycare every 2-3 hours. I told her baby was being over fed. EVERYone else shot me down saying you can't over feed a bfed baby blah blah blah.
MinaPR
by Mina on Mar. 25, 2014 at 7:32 AM

I used to be on a Facebook group for breastfeeding moms, but read sooooo many bad advice and wrong information I got frustrated and left the group. I feel sorry for those moms trying to get help and being directed the wrong way by people who think they know but wouldn't even verify their "facts"...

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 25, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Im in multiple Bfing groups on Fb and to tell the truth they have started pissing me off.  One of the groups I stay in only to steer people here because the owner is a super pumper, not an IBCLC and gives BAD advice all the time.  I have been warned I will be banned if I go against the advice she gives in what advice I give.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)