Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

14% loss in weight in 4 days and making me supplement

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2014 at 5:09 PM
  • 31 Replies
I'm at a loss. My son was born 8 pounds 11 oz and at his first check he is 7 pounds 7 oz. They said we had to supplement. I hav nursed 3 other children until they were 24, 23 and 20 months old with no problem. I have nursed On demand to every two hours. They have us giving an oz of formula after each feeding because he is severely jaundice. They wanted to readmit to hospital. I'm noticing his suck and time at the breast is decreasing because I assume how easy it is to get the oz from bottle. If I get anything from pumping which I'm not more than 10 ml I'm adding it to his bottles. When the lactation result weighed him after he nursed he only got.3 an ounce from each side. Help ladies I don't want to have to formula feed my 4 the baby.
#update#
I decided to atop the supplement. He has a weight appt. Friday and if I continue to supplement idk howvi will see what my supply issue is. If he loses weight we will use a sfs and if he maintains or gains I will know my supply is better. I am feeling pain during latch on. He may have a shallowvlatch. Its something I'll keep am eye on I guess.bitbkinda feels like what nursing fwltvlike during second trimester o this pregnancy woh my toddler.
by on Mar. 23, 2014 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Get in bed with him and nurse at every wiggle. If he is sleepy, undress him to his diap and keep him skin-to-skin with you. Diaper count is your true indicator of what he's getting. You want a minimum of six in twenty four hours with at least two quarter sized poops. Was he checked for lip and tongue ties? There is a post from Poodlemum in the resources sticky with links and a list of reputable providers by state who revise ties if they are present.
shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 23, 2014 at 5:22 PM
What kind of birth did you have? Any fluids given to you? The loss could be normal.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 23, 2014 at 5:44 PM
This!

Quoting shortyali: What kind of birth did you have? Any fluids given to you? The loss could be normal.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 23, 2014 at 5:48 PM
2 moms liked this
You do NOT HAVE to give the formula just because they recommend it! Your milk is the best thing for the jaundice. It is nature's best laxative and will clear the billirubin faster than formula which can constipate the baby. Nurse at every squirm and wiggle. Do breast massage and compressions to keep the milk flowing when his sucking slows down.
Landensmomplus1
by Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 5:56 PM
I had a horrible birth. My typical was 4 hours max but he was stuck sunny side up and shoulders and I pushed 5 hours before they prepped for c section then I begged and we used vacuum.

Quoting shortyali: What kind of birth did you have? Any fluids given to you? The loss could be normal.
Landensmomplus1
by Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 5:59 PM
The first 4 days I thought my supply was just delayed because with one of my kiddos it was. I'm just trying to keep him awake squeezing breast and piping after he has nursed. They said by tomorrow I should be able to stop supplementing. I'm just so worried about supply at this point. My breasts don't feel full but that could be do to nursing and pumping I hope.

Quoting aehanrahan: You do NOT HAVE to give the formula just because they recommend it! Your milk is the best thing for the jaundice. It is nature's best laxative and will clear the billirubin faster than formula which can constipate the baby. Nurse at every squirm and wiggle. Do breast massage and compressions to keep the milk flowing when his sucking slows down.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 23, 2014 at 6:30 PM
3 moms liked this

Considering the difficulty of the birth, baby may simply be too tired to demand enough. As hard as that was on you, it was harder on him. So offer more than he demands. In fact, get in bed, top off, put him on the breast and just plan not to remove him. Compressions to get more milk out but keep him on the breast.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Landensmomplus1: The first 4 days I thought my supply was just delayed because with one of my kiddos it was. I'm just trying to keep him awake squeezing breast and piping after he has nursed. They said by tomorrow I should be able to stop supplementing. I'm just so worried about supply at this point. My breasts don't feel full but that could be do to nursing and pumping I hope.

Quoting aehanrahan: You do NOT HAVE to give the formula just because they recommend it! Your milk is the best thing for the jaundice. It is nature's best laxative and will clear the billirubin faster than formula which can constipate the baby. Nurse at every squirm and wiggle. Do breast massage and compressions to keep the milk flowing when his sucking slows down.

Remember that a soft breast is a working breast. Just watch diaper count.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Landensmomplus1
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:29 AM
I'm trying!! My hubby is working and we have 3 other children. Of course I couldn't have a supply issue with the first or second....

Quoting gdiamante:

Considering the difficulty of the birth, baby may simply be too tired to demand enough. As hard as that was on you, it was harder on him. So offer more than he demands. In fact, get in bed, top off, put him on the breast and just plan not to remove him. Compressions to get more milk out but keep him on the breast.

Rhodin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this
The best thing for jaundice is UV light. If it's too cold to nurse outside, then nurse by a window. Request a Billi blanket.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN