Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

need encouragement and advice! *update!* 2

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:16 AM
  • 25 Replies
This is my first post here. I am a first time mom to a 7 week old baby girl who I am ebf. We have had some bumps along the way.

I believe dd has a lip tie, appointment is scheduled to have that checked. But we had some latch issues that are pretty much corrected. Then I got sick, which in turn led to dd getting sick. now she's starting to get over that and I believe I have mastitis. Started at 5 yesterday afternoon with pain and hardness in the left breast. I used a heating pad and messaged the area, nursed dd in several different positions, but by 6 this morning I was crying in pain, body aches, chills and a fever. My doctor can't get me in until Friday and i'm waiting on a call back from the nurse right now.

I feel like once we get over one hurdle another comes up. I had a really hard delivery and just started feeling back to myself and now this happens. It's so discouraging as I love nursing my dd, but I know it can't be good for her to have me sitting here crying while I'm trying to feed her :(

*update*

My doctor worked me in today and luckily it's not mastitis yet, but a really bad clog and engorgement. hopefully with the nursing/pumping/hot compress I'll be able to work it out. Thanks for the positive comments :)

*another update*

So the fever and pain are now gone, but I can still feel two lumps in the left breast. Since I have no other symptoms is it ok to just try to work it out. My doctor said if I wasnt better by today to call. Not sure what to do.
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Seximama23
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:25 AM
If you can call your ob for the mastitis. Lip ties are no fun and often with a lip tie a posterior tongue tie can also be present seems to go hand in hand. My son has an upper lip tie with a posterior tongue tie.
Just keep with it baby loves mom no matter what...I clinch in fear of pain every time I go to latch my son because he has such a shallow latch due to the ties.

I am no pro this is my second time nursing but with more knowledge
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:29 AM
Is there an urgent care facility you can get to? You definitely have mastitis. Or call your doctor back and let them know that it is and you need antibiotics ASAP. You can take ibuprofen for the fever, and try dangle nursing; lay her down and get on your hands and knees over her with breasts hanging. Let us know what the doctor says. Hang in there--we're here to help you through this!
miapia1020
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:32 AM
Thank you. I'm so emotional that your comment made me tear up. Im hoping that when the nurse calls me back she'll be able to squeeze me in today. If I don't hear by 11 I'm calling again. I just can't believe that it can hit so fast!

Quoting MusherMaggie: Is there an urgent care facility you can get to? You definitely have mastitis. Or call your doctor back and let them know that it is and you need antibiotics ASAP. You can take ibuprofen for the fever, and try dangle nursing; lay her down and get on your hands and knees over her with breasts hanging. Let us know what the doctor says. Hang in there--we're here to help you through this!
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:57 AM

You 100% CAN NOT wait til Friday to be seen for mastitis, even if you have to go to urgent care or ER a good doctor would get you in same day!

HUGS momms baby taking less becuase of illness caused mastitis.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 24, 2014 at 9:58 AM

It hit me so sudden with my first, I was on the phone with my hubby said I dont feel right and he was 10 min from our house, when he got home I was passed out on the floor next to the baby's crib..it was awful!

Quoting miapia1020: Thank you. I'm so emotional that your comment made me tear up. Im hoping that when the nurse calls me back she'll be able to squeeze me in today. If I don't hear by 11 I'm calling again. I just can't believe that it can hit so fast!
Quoting MusherMaggie: Is there an urgent care facility you can get to? You definitely have mastitis. Or call your doctor back and let them know that it is and you need antibiotics ASAP. You can take ibuprofen for the fever, and try dangle nursing; lay her down and get on your hands and knees over her with breasts hanging. Let us know what the doctor says. Hang in there--we're here to help you through this!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:51 AM

And mia, you will always feel that parenting is one challenge after another. Whoever said newborns were to be enjoyed used the wrong word. "EnDURED" is more like it. But I'll trade your newborn for my teenager. **grin**

miapia1020
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 5:29 PM
Is it possible to have a ptt without having a transfer issue? dd has gained over 3 lbs. Since birth

Quoting Seximama23: If you can call your ob for the mastitis. Lip ties are no fun and often with a lip tie a posterior tongue tie can also be present seems to go hand in hand. My son has an upper lip tie with a posterior tongue tie.
Just keep with it baby loves mom no matter what...I clinch in fear of pain every time I go to latch my son because he has such a shallow latch due to the ties.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 24, 2014 at 5:35 PM
It IS mastitis!!! The body aches, chills, and fever are ALL symptoms of mastitis! If you can get the clog out soon, you might be able to get through it without antibiotics, but WILL need them in the next day or two if it doesn't clear.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 24, 2014 at 5:38 PM
Yes! The transfer issue can take a while to show up because you have a natural oversupply in the beginning, so she's getting a lot of milk easily. I have friends who had babies become failure to thrive after supply regulation due to posterior tongue ties. They gained more than normal after having the ties revised.

Quoting miapia1020: Is it possible to have a ptt without having a transfer issue? dd has gained over 3 lbs. Since birth

Quoting Seximama23: If you can call your ob for the mastitis. Lip ties are no fun and often with a lip tie a posterior tongue tie can also be present seems to go hand in hand. My son has an upper lip tie with a posterior tongue tie.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 24, 2014 at 5:39 PM
Try dangle nursing! It was the only thing that helped when I had a plugged duct.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN