Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

started solids...

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 1:54 PM
  • 17 Replies
I'm still breastfeeding my DS. He's 6 months old. But 4 days ago i started giving him solids. I started giving him some pureed bananas or pears in the morning, then pureed Turkey and vegetables at dinner time. He's doing awesome with it! He loves to eat! Lol. But since starting solids he's been soooo gassy and i can hear his stomach rumbling all the time. He's Been waking up constantly throughout the night now because of it.
Anyone else have a problem with this??
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 24, 2014 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Pretty common when solids are introduced. You might be doing too much too soon. Choose one solid, give it three days before you introduce the next thing. The three day interval helps you figure out if a particular item is causing problems.

Don't puree... just cut the banana into small chunks and let him feed himself. If he can't do it, then his system isn't ready for solids yet.

And do make sure you're nursing first. Solids are just for fun in year one.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 24, 2014 at 1:59 PM
This!

Quoting gdiamante:

Pretty common when solids are introduced. You might be doing too much too soon. Choose one solid, give it three days before you introduce the next thing. The three day interval helps you figure out if a particular item is causing problems.

Don't puree... just cut the banana into small chunks and let him feed himself. If he can't do it, then his system isn't ready for solids yet.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 3:34 PM
It sounds like that was too much food. I start solids by not giving them any and just letting them take what they want. I don't give them their own food for a few weeks.
Ds used to like whole bananas, I would peel them a bit at a time and he'd hold the whole thing.
Ds liked her banana pieces cut up into tiny pieces and sometimes she used a fork.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaxons_mama
by Allyson on Mar. 24, 2014 at 7:32 PM
What she said

Quoting gdiamante:

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep, I agree with Gina that you are doing too much.  Introduce ONE food at a time.  It will take a while to get through different foods. I would also just give him pieces of food.  Like, little segments of banana. Ya know how a banana kinda breaks into 3 segments??  Give the little segments.  Diced avocado.  Thaw those tiny little frozen diced carrots and peas.  Give those.  Generally speaking, if you HAVE to give purees, then baby isn't ready for solids.  I also wouldn't be giving meats yet.  Remember that he isn't really getting any nutrition from these foods.  ALL of his nutrition is still coming from you.  He's just playing with food right now.

melindabelcher
by mel on Mar. 24, 2014 at 7:50 PM
I agree
We like to crock pot meats since they come out so tender.

Quoting aehanrahan: This!

Quoting gdiamante:

JennyLee24
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:12 PM
Dont do what I did and think your baby can eat a banana at this age. Be careful. U dont want him to choke. My baby is 8 months and I'm still doing purees. I'm too scared of him choking.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:52 PM

A six month old can absolutely eat a banana. Not ALL six month olds. But if they cannot manage the chunk of banana, then they should NOT be getting purees. Purees don't teach them to self-regulate. 

The gagging and choking reflex is the signal it's too early for solids. For you, it's two months later. Give it a shot. Seriously. They are more likely to choke on liquidy stuff if it goes down the wrong way and hits the vagus nerve. Take it from a woman whose six day old son nearly choked to death on breastmilk that went down the wrong pipe.

Quoting JennyLee24: Dont do what I did and think your baby can eat a banana at this age. Be careful. U dont want him to choke. My baby is 8 months and I'm still doing purees. I'm too scared of him choking.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:19 PM
Breastmilk should be the main and major source of calories through the first year. Solids are not nutritionally necessary until then. Let him try small pieces of whatever you're having while he sits at table with you in his high chair.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 1:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Both my kids ate bananas at that age. Dd liked hers cut up, but ds liked the whole banana so he could hold the peel and not the fruit itself. He was like that with just about everything until he was close to a year old. He wouldn't eat anything slimy with his hands.

Quoting JennyLee24: Dont do what I did and think your baby can eat a banana at this age. Be careful. U dont want him to choke. My baby is 8 months and I'm still doing purees. I'm too scared of him choking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)