Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Don't shake stored breast milk...confused.

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:25 PM
  • 14 Replies

So I have read that you're not supposed to shake bm just lightly stir.

But this stuff is stuck and only way I have been able to get it off, is by shaking it.
What is it? Does it need to be with milk? Or is it ok to just leave and wash out?
If needed, how do you get it out?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:31 PM
Thats true, i would warm up stored milk then stir & swivle it around. The stuff sticking to the bottle is the fat.
Corinnesingh
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:39 PM

well idk if this is bad advise or not, but if mine dont come off by swirling it, i just hold my hands to the bottle for a few seconds and swirl again, or (here it goes, i might get yelled at) i take a plastic spoon and scrape it off and itll fall off into the milk.. id like to know myself if thats a big no no

Seximama23
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:43 PM
I just swirl the bottle..run under hot water and it will mix easier. .its the fat in the milk
JackAttacks
by Angel on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:56 PM
What youre showing is the fat that settles at the top of the milk. I heat the bottle under hot water or in my bottle warmer and then gently swirl it.

Shaking breaks the protein bonds. Think of it this way: the proteins and molecules in milk form bonds similar to a beaded necklace. When shaken the necklace falls apart and is just individual beads. What you want is to give the whole necklace and not just the beads. Swirling gently allows the necklace to stay in tact.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Don't Shake the Milk

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC

Why not?

Because shaking expressed mothers' milk (or boiling or freezing it) denatures the shaped molecules of the protective proteins, leaving only the pieces - the amino acids - the parts. Lactoferrin, lysozyme, and other protective components work their protection magic when they are in their original shaped molecular structure. Some components remain intact, even during freezing, shaking or heating. They not only protect the gut from many kinds of infection, but also prevent inflammation of the gut lining. Even broken up, the separate amino acids are still really good stuff and are digested by the baby as nutrients.

Imagine a set of pop-beads assembled into a necklace or bracelet. When the beads are acting as a bracelet or necklace, they are doing their job as protective elements. When you break apart the beads, you have in your hand many individual chunks of amino acids which are then digested.

Cellular components are also susceptible to damage by physical stress. After all, they are living cells.

With mother's milk, you get at least two functions for the price of one. With manufactured formula, you only get the individual beads, never the necklace or bracelet. And never the living cells.

So, please handle human milk gently, respectfully and kindly. It's far more than perfect food for babies - it's a living tissue and protective shield too.

© 1998 Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:09 PM
Yep!^^^
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:56 AM
I swirl it after I let the bottle sit under warm water for a few minutes, or I put the bottle in between my thighs and leave it there for a few minutes.
I don't usually warm up bottles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 25, 2014 at 6:28 AM
Heat the bottle slightly to melt that fat, then swirl it in.
MinaPR
by Mina on Mar. 25, 2014 at 7:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I remember reading something like this in another post... only this mom would intentionally separate the fat from the rest of the milk to prepare a super fatty bottle for her low weight baby, she claims it worked. I don't think yours is a bad idea... just make sure the spoon is sterile! LOL!

Quoting Corinnesingh:

well idk if this is bad advise or not, but if mine dont come off by swirling it, i just hold my hands to the bottle for a few seconds and swirl again, or (here it goes, i might get yelled at) i take a plastic spoon and scrape it off and itll fall off into the milk.. id like to know myself if thats a big no no

gabenmikeysmom
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:17 AM
Wow. Ive bfed all 3 of my kids and never knew this. Thanks for the helpful info ladies!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN