Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

mother's milk tea.....?

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:57 PM
  • 15 Replies
I've been drinking 2 cups a day now for 3 days. How long does it usually take for it to up supply?
by on Mar. 24, 2014 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this
You would have to drink a lot more than that. What supply issues are you having?
JackAttacks
by Angel on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:04 PM
This!

Quoting MusherMaggie: You would have to drink a lot more than that. What supply issues are you having?
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:05 PM

On its own it's not super-effective, but you have to take about double what you're doing. The recommended dose is 3-5 cups a day. 

I'll echo maggie's question, because very often we see moms trying to improve upon perfection. We might be able to save you a few bucks. **grin**

According to your profile, baby is just over three months old. Things to watch for:

Extreme unpleasantness as teething and new milestones arrive (teething misery starts weeks and weeks before a bud appears)

About 5 dipe changes per day

Soft floppy breasts

Pump output may be about .5 - 2 ounces total per session. Less is normal. More is not common.

JackAttacks
by Angel on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:06 PM
If you do have true supply issues then fenugreek and blessed thistle will likely give you much better results than the tea and won't taste bad lol.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:11 PM
What she said!

Quoting gdiamante:

On its own it's not super-effective, but you have to take about double what you're doing. The recommended dose is 3-5 cups a day. 

I'll echo maggie's question, because very often we see moms trying to improve upon perfection. We might be able to save you a few bucks. **grin**

According to your profile, baby is just over three months old. Things to watch for:

Extreme unpleasantness as teething and new milestones arrive (teething misery starts weeks and weeks before a bud appears)

About 5 dipe changes per day

Soft floppy breasts

Pump output may be about .5 - 2 ounces total per session. Less is normal. More is not common.

Barb87
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:37 PM
AJ was born weighing 10lbs1oz (born on a Wednesday) by Friday before we left the hospital he dropped to 9lbs10oz (I expected that) by Monday he dropped down to 9lbs3oz & stayed there for 3wks & has struggled to gain weight. we found out Feb 10th that he has gastroparesis which means that his stomach empties slower than it should. FF to mid March, we had a 2 week nursing vacation. It seemed like there was no satisfying him. I fought tooth & nail to ebf him because he I never wanted to give him formula & had to supplement with it. I seriously don't want to revert to it. I am weary about giving him cereal so when AJ was 11 almost 12 weeks old, I asked his pedi & he ok'd apples & bananas. He gets 1/2 to 1 container a day (I follow his cues to determine when he's done). I know the AAP says no solids before 6m, but there are always outlayers. I don't feel like fighting or arguing, I just got attacked in my due date group over it when I posted AJ's GI appt update. ( his GI gave the go ahead for baby food today also). I gave him a little bit in the beginning. He ate 1.5 containers of apples that week. Its not like I was giving him steak & potatoes like the mom that attacked me in the other group made it seem. It was apples. That was what we were told to start him with, then bananas later on. He does not get baby food everyday, he gets it 3 to 4x a week. He is 11lbs13oz as of today & can hold his head up fairly well for his age according to his pedi.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this
The problem with early solids is the open gut before six months. Breastmilk should still be the main and major source of calories through the first year. Solids have fewer calories per ounce than breastmilk. If he is six months or more, can sit unassisted in a high chair, has lost the tongue thrust reflex and can use pincer grasp to put food in his own mouth, then he's ready for small pieces of whatever you're having. With his condition, breastmilk would be far better for him. Unfortunately, pediatricians know little or nothing about breastfeeding or breastmilk; the receive very little information in medical school on this. They get a lot of information and practice from baby food companies.

I'm also wondering if he has lip and/or tongue ties. This would affect his ability to transfer mk. There is a post from Poodlemum in the resources sticky with pictures, links and a list of reputable providers by state who revise ties if they are present. Also Google "open gut" for the complete information. Nursing frequently is the best way to build your supply. Kellymom.com has information on galactagogues that are effective.
mommietwobe
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm going to try lactation cookies. I ordered my mix from milk makers.com. I got it from them because I can't run around finding ingredients or time so I ordered the mix and waiting on them to arrive. I'm going to try them. I just need to boost to stock up but my supply is stable just need more nil to have pumped for daycare. Look into the cookies. I hear there very good and taste better am than the pills and tea.
Barb87
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:06 AM
Quoting MusherMaggie: The problem with early solids is the open gut before six months. Breastmilk should still be the main and major source of calories through the first year. Solids have fewer calories per ounce than breastmilk. If he is six months or more, can sit unassisted in a high chair, has lost the tongue thrust reflex and can use pincer grasp to put food in his own mouth, then he's ready for small pieces of whatever you're having. With his condition, breastmilk would be far better for him. Unfortunately, pediatricians know little or nothing about breastfeeding or breastmilk; the receive very little information in medical school on this. They get a lot of information and practice from baby food companies.

I'm also wondering if he has lip and/or tongue ties. This would affect his ability to transfer mk. There is a post from Poodlemum in the resources sticky with pictures, links and a list of reputable providers by state who revise ties if they are present. Also Google "open gut" for the complete information. Nursing frequently is the best way to build your supply. Kellymom.com has information on galactagogues that are effective.

No ties to be seen. I nurse on demand. I offer the breast 1st, if he doesn't want it I give him his paci.
Barb87
by Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 12:09 AM
Quoting mommietwobe: I'm going to try lactation cookies. I ordered my mix from milk makers.com. I got it from them because I can't run around finding ingredients or time so I ordered the mix and waiting on them to arrive. I'm going to try them. I just need to boost to stock up but my supply is stable just need more nil to have pumped for daycare. Look into the cookies. I hear there very good and taste better am than the pills and tea.

The cookies are amoung my next steps. Thanks for reminding me!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN