Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

OT- but want your opinions

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 7:28 PM
  • 28 Replies
My son is 18mo and has a slight iron deficiency. They gave us fruity flavored iron supplements but he won't take it. He's also teething and currently popping 5 teeth but also refuses Tylenol. Can I give him a smaller dose of chewable Tylenol (labeled 2yrs and up)? Or what about a chewable vitamin with iron (labeled 2yrs and up)?
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 7:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 25, 2014 at 7:33 PM
I would increase the iron and vitamin C in his diet rather than giving the supplement. Vitamin C helps the absorption of the iron.
For the teething, you can give him teething tablets, use an amber necklace, and rub raw sweet onion on his gums.
hnischke
by Heather on Mar. 25, 2014 at 8:10 PM
I've done all of the diet stuff but it's been difficult since he hasn't been wanting as much for solids.

The teething tabs help a little but not enough. I love been looking into the amber. I'll try the onion, I haven't heard of that.

Quoting aehanrahan: I would increase the iron and vitamin C in his diet rather than giving the supplement. Vitamin C helps the absorption of the iron.
For the teething, you can give him teething tablets, use an amber necklace, and rub raw sweet onion on his gums.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 25, 2014 at 8:19 PM
Cooking in cast iron adds iron to the food.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 25, 2014 at 8:32 PM
I bought a cast iron pan for this reason. And i sneak spinach and kale in my Vitamix when I make blueberry smoothies. One of my friends was told to put cream of wheat in everything her anemic child ate. Which seemed like a good idea at the time but turned out to be incredibly bad advice when the kid was finally diagnosed with celiac disease at 8 years. There could have been nothing worse than the wheat!

Quoting aehanrahan: Cooking in cast iron adds iron to the food.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:25 PM
My children's favorite iron booster was chopped chicken with mandarin oranges. You could chop some spinach into it as well.
hnischke
by Heather on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:38 PM
He refuses any leafy greens. He does ok with chicken livers and Vit C. The only problem is it's not raising his levels up enough and he has been refusing a lot of solids. He also spits out any liquid medication. I can't disguise it at all.

Quoting MusherMaggie: My children's favorite iron booster was chopped chicken with mandarin oranges. You could chop some spinach into it as well.
hnischke
by Heather on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:39 PM
I've been doing that too. It's just not enough.

Quoting aehanrahan: Cooking in cast iron adds iron to the food.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this
What is his actual iron level? Was it an actual blood draw or just a finger stick? Look on Kellymom.com for more iron-rich foods.
hnischke
by Heather on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I believe it was about 9.6 from a blood draw. This was during his visit with the hematologist at Children's hospital of WI. That's where they have us the mykidz10 iron supplement which is fruity flavored. He took it twice and has refused ever since. He'll only take a handful of bites per meal. So it's hard to rely solely on diet.

Quoting MusherMaggie: What is his actual iron level? Was it an actual blood draw or just a finger stick? Look on Kellymom.com for more iron-rich foods.
nikimom926
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:03 AM
I mixed the iron supplement with some applesauce or fruit purée for DD. She is 18 months and takes chewable Tylenol and Ibuprofen for teething or illness as needed. As long as it is the same mg dose it is fine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)