Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I talked her in to BFing, and now she's ready to quit!! Help!! (Update)... (Update 2)

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:09 PM
  • 34 Replies
My SIL didn't want to BF. My bro is a strong advocate, though and said he wanted her to at least try. Since I'm around her a lot, she's seen me BF DS2 from the beginning. I had quite a bit of trouble (and still encountering new issues) from the beginning, but I (and my bro) talked her in to giving BF a try.
The issue: her son was born a week early. He was born with water in his lungs and spent two nights in NICU. The hospital did pretty good helping her with being a new BFing mother. However, my nephew had his ped visit today (a ped office I recommended-but we've never encountered this doc) and they told her she should supplement bc he wasn't getting enough or gaining enough weight. She almost broke down right there, especially since she wasn't keen on BF in the first place.
She knew about the tenderness of the nipples ahead if time, but keeps asking when should they start feeling better (I have no idea).
I asked her about his weight: "Birth weight was 7lbs 6oz, lost 7% of birth weight, now weighs 6lbs 9oz, and yes she (pedi) did (ask about diaper count), she (pedi) seemed skeptical when I told her the amount though, 7-10 a day"
She wants some encouragement, bc she wants to try to BF for at least six months (one step at a time). How much weight should he be gaining?? - that's her biggest worry. I've told her all the info I know and all the stuff I've learned on here. You ladies are amazing and so supportive, so I hope you can help me encourage my SIL. Thanks

Update: (birthdate March 21) today was his two-week checkup. She took him to the same pedi! He weighs 6pounds,11ounces. Pedi told SIL baby still isn't getting enough and that she's going to have to supplement. He said it's because baby falls asleep while eating. Pedi said to start supplementing with an ounce at each feeding (said to start with expressed BM unless she couldn't get enough out).......

Update 2: today (April 16). My nephew weighs 7 pounds, 1 ounce. The pedi, at this point, has no more problems. Thanks for all the advice! SIL is still ebf and going strong!
by on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:15 PM
How old is he? In week one, we expect loss of up to 10-12% depending on the birth/IV fluids. At two weeks, a gain of about 4-7 ounces should be expected.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:18 PM
What is his exact date of birth? Weight loss is normal for the first week, even two. Diaper count sounds fine. Do his lips flange outward around her nipple? Does he open wide to latch? If not, she needs to break the suction with her little finger and relatch him every time. Can you tell, with the help of the post from Poodlemum in the resources sticky, whether or not he has lip or tongue ties? Remind her that most pediatricians know little or nothing about breastfeeding; their training is for injury and illness. She's probably actually doing quite well.
jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:30 PM
Oops, forgot to add that. He was born Friday (3/21)

Quoting aehanrahan: How old is he? In week one, we expect loss of up to 10-12% depending on the birth/IV fluids. At two weeks, a gain of about 4-7 ounces should be expected.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:39 PM
He's only four days old and they're expecting gain?!?!?! He shouldn't gain anything until next week!!!

Quoting jean_marie1987: Oops, forgot to add that. He was born Friday (3/21)

Quoting aehanrahan: How old is he? In week one, we expect loss of up to 10-12% depending on the birth/IV fluids. At two weeks, a gain of about 4-7 ounces should be expected.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2014 at 10:41 PM
He's not even a week old yet and way ahead on diaper count. Ditch the pediatrician and find one more supportive of breastfeeding. Also Google "Find an IBCLC" to see if there is one in your area.
jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 5:44 AM
That's what I told her...

Quoting aehanrahan: He's only four days old and they're expecting gain?!?!?! He shouldn't gain anything until next week!!!

Quoting jean_marie1987: Oops, forgot to add that. He was born Friday (3/21)

sal26
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 5:55 AM
send her here! I just passed the 1 year mark and I wasn't sure if I was going to make it past maternity leave.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:09 AM

SEND HER HERE!!!!

Thats insane baby should still be losing at this point..4 oz gain a week AFTER the first week of losing is the norm.  Kellymom even lists that, tell her to check there.  She needs a new ped obviously this one isnt going to be very supportive of BFing.

jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:32 AM

I did send her to CM, but she didn't like it.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

SEND HER HERE!!!!

Thats insane baby should still be losing at this point..4 oz gain a week AFTER the first week of losing is the norm.  Kellymom even lists that, tell her to check there.  She needs a new ped obviously this one isnt going to be very supportive of BFing.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:07 AM
3 moms liked this

Did she go to the brainkilling Mom Confessions or to Newcomers? Or did you link her directly to this group?

Quoting jean_marie1987:

I did send her to CM, but she didn't like it.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

SEND HER HERE!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)