Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

So painful I almost want to stop!

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:29 AM
  • 11 Replies

It hurts so much right now to bf that I almost want to stop!. He's only 2 weeks old, but I cringe just at the thought of putting him to the breast. And almost cry when he latches on. I almost hope that his upper lip is tied so that something can be done to make this less painful. I'll find out today if he is tied.

by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amberNewman0213
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this
A lot of people say they are a no no. But I used a nipple shield for the first 3 weeks and to help sore nipple till she got her latch good. That's how it worked for me though. I don't use them anymore. Some babies don't take them well but they saved me from quiting breastfeeding.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:26 AM
Can you take a picture under his upper lip and with his mouth open, like if he's crying? We may be able to see the ties.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Quoting MusherMaggie: Can you take a picture under his upper lip and with his mouth open, like if he's crying? We may be able to see the ties.
NCJen84
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:19 PM

What helped me in the early weeks is I corrected dd latch for 2-3 days in a row and she started latching deeper which allowed my nipples to heal.

illeanaw
by New Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Lanolin is supposed to help with the pain.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Does it hurt all through a feeding or just at the beginning?

omiestutz
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:32 PM

It hurts some still wile I'm feeding, but the most during latch on. My nipples hurt so much even after bf. I hate wearing a bra, because the pressure on my sore nipples. While at home I refuse to wear one.

Quoting gdiamante:

Does it hurt all through a feeding or just at the beginning?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Pain during latch can be normal... lanolin will help.

Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:05 PM
2 moms liked this

*hugs* BEEN there! this is my 3rd but 1st to breastfeed. i wanted to throw up with the pain. Truck through the 1st month and it's smooth sailing, I ASSURE YOU!! dd3 is now 6mos and the pain stopped after the 1st month. now it's just a tugging. 

it does go away!

i whispered to my dd3 "i'll do this for you".....just keep telling yourself "one more day" every day. it will get better!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!

NDADanceMom
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Even with baby 4 i was sick in my tummy every time she nursed for the first 2 weeks. It hurt so bad i didn't want to feed her. I knew if i stuck it out it would get better. It did. At 4 months she's a pro and i hardly notice her nursing. Newborns have a killer suck. They don't do it as hard after a bit.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)