Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Clicking and Gas

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:43 PM
  • 11 Replies

So my son (11 weeks) has been doing good gaining weight finally. He just had another weight check gained 9oz in 9days! His diaper count is great usually getting to 6 before noon every day. I'm still taking fenugreek 3 times a day and eating lactation upping foods; it's really helped my supply even though I'm still not getting anything with a pump.

But now I'm worried I've developed OAL. He's clicking at the beginning of nursing which he never did before, pulling off more again (though that might be distraction because he does it most often when someone talks or comes near us while he's nursing), has horrible gas (every time he stretches he farts and gets really cranky at times because of it), and doesn't want to comfort nurse as much but will take a pacifier. I've tried the leaning back nursing and he wants nothing to do with it. Are there other positions that I can try? Should I back off the lactation aids or since I've had issues with him gaining keep doing them?

by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShadowWaters
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Oh I forgot to add he's also biting down on my nipple.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:09 PM
You are definitely dealing with OAL! What made you think that you needed to increase your supply? You seem to have an oversupply and that can cause issues also.
Change your nursing position so he is never under the breast to reduce the force of the flow of milk into his mouth. This will decrease the amount of air taken in and help with the gassiness.
ShadowWaters
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:02 PM

He was 9 weeks and still not above birth weight. Pedi increased his supplements (about 16oz a day now) which has helped him gain 18oz in 22 days. I thought more but mis-read scale I guess; his record says 18oz. On full formula no nursing he gained 4oz in 3 days, on nursing with formula he gained 5oz in a week and then the last 9 days he's gained another 9oz. He doesn't appear to have ties though his latch wasn't good so we've been working to fix that. I was told with previous children my supply was one of the issues with them not being successful in nursing. I don't know that my supply was low with this child just that I can only pump 3ml no matter how religiously I pump and that he wasn't gaining. I'm trying to fix anything I can so he can get off the formula.

Quoting aehanrahan: You are definitely dealing with OAL! What made you think that you needed to increase your supply? You seem to have an oversupply and that can cause issues also. Change your nursing position so he is never under the breast to reduce the force of the flow of milk into his mouth. This will decrease the amount of air taken in and help with the gassiness.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:19 PM

What you pump forever means nothing... my breastfeeding mentor didn't pump even HALF as much as you yet nursed twins without a drop of formula.

4-7 ounces per week is the gain rate you want to see. I think you can probably back off the formula now.

ShadowWaters
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Yeah I plan to track his formula and diapers for the next few days to get a clear picture of where is at then start trying to wean him off again. He has a weight check in two weeks to make sure he's staying on track with gaining.

Quoting gdiamante:

What you pump forever means nothing... my breastfeeding mentor didn't pump even HALF as much as you yet nursed twins without a drop of formula.

4-7 ounces per week is the gain rate you want to see. I think you can probably back off the formula now.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:30 PM
Can you take pictures of his open mouth and with his upper lip turned up?
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Quoting ShadowWaters:

He was 9 weeks and still not above birth weight. Was the cause of lack of gain investigated or were you just told to supplement? Pedi increased his supplements (about 16oz a day now) which has helped him gain 18oz in 22 days. I thought more but mis-read scale I guess; his record says 18oz. On full formula no nursing he gained 4oz in 3 days, on nursing with formula he gained 5oz in a week and then the last 9 days he's gained another 9oz. He doesn't appear to have ties though his latch wasn't good so we've been working to fix that. I was told with previous children my supply was one of the issues with them not being successful in nursing.Based on what? I don't know that my supply was low with this child just that I can only pump 3ml no matter how religiously I pump How much you can pump means NOTHING! Some moms can pump nothing but can successfully nurse twins. and that he wasn't gaining. I'm trying to fix anything I can so he can get off the formula.

The lack of gain coupled with the latching issue is leading me to suspect that there is a baby problem like lip and tongue ties. Check out THIS post to see if anything helps. We can help identify upper lip and posterior tongue ties if you can post pictures. Most medical professionals don't know about ULT and PTT much less that they can cause issues with nursing.

ShadowWaters
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 1:24 AM

I did the best I could but he was not a happy man with me messing with him.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Can you take pictures of his open mouth and with his upper lip turned up?

ShadowWaters
by on Mar. 28, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Bump for pictures

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 9:34 AM
They look like ties to me. If you can find an IBCLC (Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant) she should be able to tell for sure. The post from Poodlemum in the resources sticky has links and a list of reputable providers by state who revise ties. Unfortunately, most pediatricians are not aware of the problems ties can cause, particularly the implications for breastfeeding. They can also cause speech, dental and swallowing/food texture problems down the road.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)