Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Sudden increase in milk intake - is this possible?

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:45 PM
  • 9 Replies

DD has been in daycare since she was 9 weeks old.  She is now 5 months old.  Up until a week ago she was eating 6-8oz a day at daycare, nursing 2-3 times an evening before bed, 2-3 times during the night, and once in the morning before daycare.  I was getting 7-8oz a day pumping at work (every 3 hours - as much as my work allows).  A week and a half ago she was started on new meds for GERD.  Since then she has been eating 12-13oz a day at daycare - blowing through my freezer stock because I am still only pumping 7-8oz a day.  She still nurses as frequently at home, every 2 hours during the night.  Is it possible that her sudden increase in what she's eating at daycare is due to the meds making her feel better?  So maybe her eating doesn't hurt her as much so she is eating more?  Will my supply eventually catch up?  I can't take fenugreek and have tried another nursing supplement and I can't take that either because they give her gas and cause extreme discomfort.  I drink a ton of water and eat oatmeal every morning.  I snack on almonds throughout the day.

Just background history - birth weight was 8lb 1oz, 2 month was 11lb 3oz, 4 month was 13lb 2oz.  I do believe I have over active letdown (but not over supply) and do side lying and reclined nursing when home with her.  I also tried exclusively pumping and bottle feeding to see if that helped with the GERD but there was no improvement.  Her diaper counts have always been fine and she had a 2lb weight gain between 2 and 4 months so I never worried about the little amount she ate at daycare.    

by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ceckyl
by Kyla on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:47 PM
How long are you gone? Uses you're gone 12+ hours baby is being over fed.
Eternity807
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 12:55 PM

I am generally gone 10-11 hours.

Quoting ceckyl: How long are you gone? Uses you're gone 12+ hours baby is being over fed.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:14 PM
The huge weight gain indicates that you DO have an oversupply. Your caregivers are overfeeding your baby and it will lead to your supply decreasing. If they give more in bottles than you pump, the demand is lower so the supply also lowers. Do you pump first thing every morning? That will help you with your pump response and get some extra.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:17 PM
For 10-11 hrs apart, she's eating about the top of the range allowed, but still within normal. Can you try pumping first thing in the morning every day whether you're working or not to increase your cushion of available milk? Make sure you're nursing at drop off and pick up and that bottles are no larger than 3 oz.

Quoting Eternity807:

I am generally gone 10-11 hours.

Quoting ceckyl: How long are you gone? Uses you're gone 12+ hours baby is being over fed.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 26, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Do yu pump first thing in the morning everyday? If not add that session and you should be able to ump enough 10-12 oz is within norm

Eternity807
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:36 PM

I feed her within 30 minutes of waking up.  Is the suggestion to pump before this feed?  Or after this feed?  If so, I would have to pump within 30 minutes of feeding her.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Do yu pump first thing in the morning everyday? If not add that session and you should be able to ump enough 10-12 oz is within norm

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:50 PM
Pump before, during, or after the feeding. It doesn't matter.

Quoting Eternity807:

I feed her within 30 minutes of waking up.  Is the suggestion to pump before this feed?  Or after this feed?  If so, I would have to pump within 30 minutes of feeding her.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Eternity807
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Wouldn't pumping before or during the feeding decrease her intake and cause her to want/need more at daycare?

Quoting aehanrahan: Pump before, during, or after the feeding. It doesn't matter.
Quoting Eternity807:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:13 PM
Nope! She will still get what she needs when she nurses because milk is made as it is demanded.
She will need less at daycare if you nurse at drop off and pick up. Then 2-3 ounces every 2-3 hours between those two nursing sessions is all that would be needed.

Quoting Eternity807:

Wouldn't pumping before or during the feeding decrease her intake and cause her to want/need more at daycare?

Quoting aehanrahan: Pump before, during, or after the feeding. It doesn't matter.
Quoting Eternity807:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN