Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Now his Dr wants

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:39 PM
  • 31 Replies

Now his Dr wants me to pump, and feed it to him after I bf in a bottle with some formula to help him gain weight. He was born weighing 6lbs 12oz than left at 6lbs even. Today at his two week check up he was 6lbs 8oz. Yet I told her that I don't want to give him a bottle, we (me) are already having issues. I'm afraid that introducing a bottle would just cause more problems. Not to mention I tried pumping just a bit ago, and right now it's painful to try and pump. I'm so discouraged! BF hurts, but I don't want to give up. And I don't want my lil man to not want the breast anymore.

by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:43 PM
So he's gained 8 ounces??? That's PERFECT!!! The expected gain is 4-7 ounces per week from LOWEST weight, not birth weight.
ELFs_Mommy
by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Your dr sounds sadly misinformed. Situations like this, I usually just nod & smile, then keep doing what I've been doing. If baby is gaining (which obviously he has), and he's having plenty of wet/dirty diapers, I wouldn't worry at all.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this
This. No need to supplement.

Quoting aehanrahan: So he's gained 8 ounces??? That's PERFECT!!! The expected gain is 4-7 ounces per week from LOWEST weight, not birth weight.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:12 PM
I agree with this, too. Baby sounds fine. Can't say the same for this dr. :-/

Quoting aehanrahan: So he's gained 8 ounces??? That's PERFECT!!! The expected gain is 4-7 ounces per week from LOWEST weight, not birth weight.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this
After I replied, I realized that he most likely lost even more during the first week, so the gain is probably even more than 8 ounces! I absolutely hate that we seem to know more about what is normal for a baby than the doctors.

Quoting mostlymaydays: I agree with this, too. Baby sounds fine. Can't say the same for this dr. :-/

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Doctors are great for illness or injury--not so much for breastfeeding or nutrition.
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm going to break ranks here and say this is not fine. When baby is not up to birth weight at 2 weeks it is a red flag that baby is not getting enough milk.

You have two big red flags: Baby is not up to birth weight at 2 weeks AND you are in pain. It sounds very likely like baby is not latching properly and is not transferring milk well.

I think you need to start pumping both to get baby more milk and to protect your milk supply while you are figuring out what is wrong. You do not need to give a bottle, you can supplement with a cup, spoon, or syringe. The easiest would be an oral syringe which you can get at your local pharmacy.

What kind of pump do you have? Pumping should not hurt (breastfeeding should not hurt either!)

The BEST thing you could do right now is to make an appointment to see an IBCLC who can evaluate you and baby and see why it is hurting and how he is doing getting milk at the breast.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:55 PM
How many diapers a day? The pain makes it sound like baby might be tied, which would prevent him from getting enough milk. Not being back at birth weight by two weeks is okay and not necessarily the worst thing, but with the pain it's likely that he's lip or tongue tied. You should look up pics of ties and find a lactation consultant or doctor to check your little one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 26, 2014 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Maggie, top gain amount kellymom lists is 8.5 ounces a week, and this baby lost 12 ounces. Would you still expect him to be back to birth weight with that?  I don't disagree that thre's a tie going here but the weight alone wouldn't flag it for me, knowing what to expect in gain.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

I'm going to break ranks here and say this is not fine. When baby is not up to birth weight at 2 weeks it is a red flag that baby is not getting enough milk.

omiestutz
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 12:26 AM

Just today he's had 7 wet diapers and 2 poppy diapers. He's not tongue tied. I checked and so did his Dr. I have had two kids be tongue tired so I know what that looks like. His Dr doesn't think that his lip looks tied, bit she said she'd never heard of that being a problem. I may call the p.a. on her office who O found out today is a LC. I think I need a second opinion.

Quoting polkaspots: How many diapers a day? The pain makes it sound like baby might be tied, which would prevent him from getting enough milk. Not being back at birth weight by two weeks is okay and not necessarily the worst thing, but with the pain it's likely that he's lip or tongue tied. You should look up pics of ties and find a lactation consultant or doctor to check your little one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN