Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Night Weaning *5 day update*

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:29 AM
  • 12 Replies

Two nights ago I starting night weaning our 2 year old. She would noramlly wake about 2 or 3 times to nurse at night. It was keeping everyone from resting so it had to stop. Last night and the night before she was up maybe 6 or 7 times. When she wakes up to nurse i gently remind her "no milk" and tell her to roll over so i can rub her back (this puts her to sleep). However she will sometimes scream for a few minuets, maybe 5 or so minuets of crying as if she was in pain, then roll over and quiet down.

I am so tired, and this is just as difficult as I imagined it would be. Does anyone have good news for me? Am I almost through the tough part? Any ideas?

by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thriftymom35
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Ugh......that sounds awful.  I have never breastfed that long but just wanted to give you some sympathy, hang in there!!  I'm sure this will be me when mine turns one.  

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:58 AM
Are you using the method from Drjaygordon.com?
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:59 AM
I think she'll settle in to the new routine with continued consistency. Mine were 18 months when I hit my limit with the constant night nursing. If they woke to nurse I told them milk was sleeping but I'd cuddle them to sleep. If they protested I would roll over and since they sire didn't want that they then settled for that cuddle. If memory serves it was a week of that. 2 of my kids adjusted well with it and 2 protested quite dramatically, and to this day that's how everything in their life still goes. :-/
Mrseoc
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Quoting MusherMaggie: Are you using the method from Drjaygordon.com?

I'm not 100%. I'm using a method i read about almost a year ago when i thought about night weaning. I think i found it linked to Dr Sears maybe?

I'm kinda using my own method. Make sure she eats a good dinner, and gently tend to her at night when she wants to nurse. I offer her water, rub her back and shoosh her. That's about it.

Mrseoc
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:03 AM

LOL well i'm glad she's showing me what i'm up against.

She stands firmly on her wants, that's for sure.

Thank you for that, i can put up with this for a week if it means i get to sleep through the night soon enough.

Quoting mostlymaydays: I think she'll settle in to the new routine with continued consistency. Mine were 18 months when I hit my limit with the constant night nursing. If they woke to nurse I told them milk was sleeping but I'd cuddle them to sleep. If they protested I would roll over and since they sire didn't want that they then settled for that cuddle. If memory serves it was a week of that. 2 of my kids adjusted well with it and 2 protested quite dramatically, and to this day that's how everything in their life still goes. :-/

K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:05 AM
It took about 4 days here, same method. Hang in there!

Quoting mostlymaydays: I think she'll settle in to the new routine with continued consistency. Mine were 18 months when I hit my limit with the constant night nursing. If they woke to nurse I told them milk was sleeping but I'd cuddle them to sleep. If they protested I would roll over and since they sire didn't want that they then settled for that cuddle. If memory serves it was a week of that. 2 of my kids adjusted well with it and 2 protested quite dramatically, and to this day that's how everything in their life still goes. :-/
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Mar. 30, 2014 at 11:40 AM
My first child was similar. It was hard, amd some kids are easier, like my second, but they all got through it. Do you have a comfort object? That works for some kids.
Mrseoc
by Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 6:25 PM
2 moms liked this

I'd just like to update:

We started on friday night, friday saturday and sunday night where tough. Last night she only woke up twice and the only time i really had a problem was the second time when it was super early in the morning and she wanted to nurse. I remined her we dont nurse at night and that mommy was going to sleep. She didnt like that but accepted it and went strait to sleep. She even fell asleep at bedtime without nursing down... which is like amazing for her.

I'm looking forward to another night like last, where i got more sleep than i have since before i was pregnant.

polkaspots
by on Apr. 1, 2014 at 6:39 PM
That's what we did, except DH got up with ds instead of me. I nursed him back to sleep the first few nights and then stopped. He was only 1 1/2 though. It took about a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2014 at 10:27 PM
Sounds like it's working! Thanks for keeping us updated.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)