Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

When oh when??

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 4:20 AM
  • 17 Replies
Venting.....
Night 2 at hospital. BF is going well. But still no milk. :( just hoping it comes sooner this time (second baby) . First because of her jaundice & possibly having to stay for bili lights or I know they will tell me to supplement. :( and second for her weight and because poor thing seems so hungry!

Any others in a similar position?
by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 4:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Apr. 2, 2014 at 5:51 AM
Babys belly is the size of a marble. You dont need milk yet. For some it can come in as late as 1 week and thats ok.
Nurse every 2hrs with a jaundice baby. The lights are fine, that will help alot!
How many diapers in the last 24hrs? How many were poop?
jaxons_mama
by Allyson on Apr. 2, 2014 at 6:15 AM
Both my babies were jaundice. My second was worse than my first. My milk didn't come in till day 3 but I never had to supplement or use lights. I just nursed every 2-3 hours and keep the bassinet by the window with the blinds open. It cleared up with 2 weeks with no problems. Good luck and congrats
winteryfaith
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 9:14 AM
Yea the lights help! A lot! But i really dont qant to have to either leave her or stay another night.

But her results came back good. We are going home today! Just really hoping milk comes in fast!

Shes had like 1 poop yesterday and like 4-5 wet diapers.

Quoting melindabelcher: Babys belly is the size of a marble. You dont need milk yet. For some it can come in as late as 1 week and thats ok.
Nurse every 2hrs with a jaundice baby. The lights are fine, that will help alot!
How many diapers in the last 24hrs? How many were poop?
KikiB85
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this
My son was juandice. Second day he was put on lights and did about 16hrs on them and his results were good enough to come off. I had a c sec tho so i was in hospital friday evening till Monday morning. He just stayed on the boob. Used me like a paci. He was 8lb 4oz at birth and when we left he was 7lb 7oz. Same thing (minus jaundice ) happened with my older dd.....they did supplement her tho. The nurse knew our latch was good tho and that I was constantly feeding him so she didn't push supplementing him.
BaltimoreBaby
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 9:20 AM
My baby had jaundice really bad with no signs of milk coming in - and that's when my lack of knowledge and the doctors pushing for supplementing did me in. I supplemented, which I will always regret. I had no support for breastfeeding in the hospital.

Stay strong! Glad you're going home.
winteryfaith
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 9:24 AM
Same here! My boobs are like a paci to her! Im trying to do without a pacifier at until my milk comes in. And its tough!! Shes constantly rooting. Luckily she sleeps good when we do skin to skin but I have the hardest time sleeping. But Im going to keep going. She latches very well and i just absolutely LOVE bfing her! She did have a little trouble latching last night and I panicked because she was frantic and it was almost impossible! So dropped like 3 drops of formula on my nipple while in her mouth with a syringe and she went to town and never again needed.

Are those flukes? Will she do that again?

Quoting KikiB85: My son was juandice. Second day he was put on lights and did about 16hrs on them and his results were good enough to come off. I had a c sec tho so i was in hospital friday evening till Monday morning. He just stayed on the boob. Used me like a paci. He was 8lb 4oz at birth and when we left he was 7lb 7oz. Same thing (minus jaundice ) happened with my older dd.....they did supplement her tho. The nurse knew our latch was good tho and that I was constantly feeding him so she didn't push supplementing him.
winteryfaith
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 9:25 AM
Yeah my first was just like that. And i kick myself every time i think about it. So mad at myself. This time I am not going to do that! Gatta find another way!

Quoting BaltimoreBaby: My baby had jaundice really bad with no signs of milk coming in - and that's when my lack of knowledge and the doctors pushing for supplementing did me in. I supplemented, which I will always regret. I had no support for breastfeeding in the hospital.

Stay strong! Glad you're going home.
Snowmama13
by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

You have colostrom.  This helps baby move bowls and its the pre-milk before your milk.  So breastfeed when baby is hungry.  The more you breastfeed the more your body will make milk. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 2, 2014 at 9:41 AM

With that kind of count, sounds like milk IS in.

Quoting winteryfaith: Yea the lights help! A lot! But i really dont qant to have to either leave her or stay another night. But her results came back good. We are going home today! Just really hoping milk comes in fast! Shes had like 1 poop yesterday and like 4-5 wet diapers.
Quoting melindabelcher: Babys belly is the size of a marble. You dont need milk yet. For some it can come in as late as 1 week and thats ok. Nurse every 2hrs with a jaundice baby. The lights are fine, that will help alot! How many diapers in the last 24hrs? How many were poop?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 2, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Quoting winteryfaith: Same here! My boobs are like a paci to her!
Pacifiers are replacements for YOU. And keep in mind, much of the English speaking world calls pacifiers "dummies." Dunno 'bout you, but I don't care for being plreaced by a dummy. **grin**
Im trying to do without a pacifier at until my milk comes in. And its tough!! Shes constantly rooting.
PERFECT.
Luckily she sleeps good when we do skin to skin but I have the hardest time sleeping. But Im going to keep going. She latches very well and i just absolutely LOVE bfing her! She did have a little trouble latching last night and I panicked because she was frantic and it was almost impossible! So dropped like 3 drops of formula on my nipple while in her mouth with a syringe and she went to town and never again needed. Are those flukes? Will she do that again?
SHe probably will a few times. Don't let it worry you. Now, are you giving formula or what that dipe count you gave above from breastmilk? Because the count is higher than I'd expect this early.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)