Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Will my breastmilk protect my 6 week old from getting the stomach flu?

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 10:15 AM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this
My two year old was throwing up all night...in a panic I grabbed my sick toddlers paci and put it in my newborns mouth ! I swear I still have pregnancy brain😁...anyway now I've really exposed him poor thing...will my breastmilk protect him any? That would be horrible for a newborn to be that sick😰 anyone know? Thx!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2014 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Karmahappens
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes- it will. Now that doens't guarantee he won't get it, but your breast milk should help.

By the way-breastmilk is a clear liquid and can be used instead of pedilyte for your toddler.

MumB
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 10:26 AM
Wow good to know;) I'm not sure if he'll drink it especially if he knows it's moms milk from her boobies ...lol...but I can try;) I sure hope my milk protects him..that and lots of prayers! Thx for your response!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
The flu raged through our house. The only one not affected- the one kid still nursing.
Keda84
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
My whole house had it and my son who was 3 months didn't get it.
Karmahappens
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MumB: Wow good to know;) I'm not sure if he'll drink it especially if he knows it's moms milk from her boobies ...lol...but I can try;) I sure hope my milk protects him..that and lots of prayers! Thx for your response!

Don't ask-don't tell. Give him an ounce at a time -use a medicine syringe-tell him it will make his tummy better.

No lies there.

JackAttacks
by Angel on Apr. 2, 2014 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

hes got a better chance of NOT getting the flu than anyone else in the house because of your milk. by chance did YOU have the flu shot?

rwcw89
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this
It should definitely help. Whenever sickness runs rapid I boost up on some garlic supplements to double protect my girl and take a tablet daily to help my immune system and hers as well. So far we've been good and I voted out of the flu vaccine or the rotavirus *knock on wood*
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 2, 2014 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Have YOU had that stomach flu yet? Ideally you would have had it, built up antibodies which you in turn would pass through nursing. In the event that baby were to get a stomach bug the very best thing for his tummy is breastfeeding. If HE gets it before you do at least you'll help speed his recovery along with the antibody boost.
MumB
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 7:24 PM
Good idea I'll totally try it! Thx! 😀

Quoting Karmahappens:

Quoting MumB: Wow good to know;) I'm not sure if he'll drink it especially if he knows it's moms milk from her boobies ...lol...but I can try;) I sure hope my milk protects him..that and lots of prayers! Thx for your response!

Don't ask-don't tell. Give him an ounce at a time -use a medicine syringe-tell him it will make his tummy better.

No lies there.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumB
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 7:25 PM
I actually had the stomach flu when I was 9 months prego but not sure if that gets to the baby in the womb? Which was only a few months ago...hopefully it helps a little!

Quoting mostlymaydays: Have YOU had that stomach flu yet? Ideally you would have had it, built up antibodies which you in turn would pass through nursing. In the event that baby were to get a stomach bug the very best thing for his tummy is breastfeeding. If HE gets it before you do at least you'll help speed his recovery along with the antibody boost.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)