Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Quick Question about Exclusively Pumping

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:14 AM
  • 8 Replies

Do the same rules apply about bottle feeding a breastfed baby? Always 3oz every 3 hours?

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:25 AM
Depending on the baby and his/her age, smaller amounts more frequently might work better. Three ounces is the recommended maximum in the bottle. "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on kellymom.com will have more specific information on how to hold baby and bottle to prevent overfeeding, etc.
MamaToCollin
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Quoting MusherMaggie: Depending on the baby and his/her age, smaller amounts more frequently might work better. Three ounces is the recommended maximum in the bottle. "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on kellymom.com will have more specific information on how to hold baby and bottle to prevent overfeeding, etc.

Thanks.  The baby is 4 1/2 months old.  Mom was tellling me she isn't producing enough for her.  Then I found out she was EPing.  So I wasn't as familiar with the rules for only pumping.

shortyali
by Alicia on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:04 AM
She wants to make sure she's pumping every 2 hours during the day and every 3 hours at night.

Quoting MamaToCollin:

Quoting MusherMaggie: Depending on the baby and his/her age, smaller amounts more frequently might work better. Three ounces is the recommended maximum in the bottle. "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on kellymom.com will have more specific information on how to hold baby and bottle to prevent overfeeding, etc.

Thanks.  The baby is 4 1/2 months old.  Mom was tellling me she isn't producing enough for her.  Then I found out she was EPing.  So I wasn't as familiar with the rules for only pumping.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:24 AM
As far as amounts, baby may take up to 30 oz in 24 hrs, so the rule is 1-1.25 oz per hr.
hnischke
by Heather on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:31 AM
I've been EPing for almost 19mo. My son maxed out at 4oz every 2hrs until I lowered it because he was eating too much. Now he eats 2-3oz every 2-4hrs and has been for quite a while.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:44 PM
The amount needed can be a little more due to the milk not being completely tailored to the baby's exact needs from the saliva on the breasts. It does change as the baby gets older, just not as specifically like with nursing at the breast.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:10 PM
Paced bottlefeeding and newborn nipples all the time are key, as well as the pumping frequency. Simple foods such as steel cut oatmeal, peaches, macadamia nuts and sesame seeds are milk-making foods. See "galactagogues" on kellymom.com for more, as well as foods to be avoided that will lower supply.
MommyO2-6631
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:45 PM
If she is bottle feeding only then give as much as the baby wants. An ounce per hour is for nursing moms just looking to tide baby over because they'll make up for anything missed when mom returns to nurse.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)