• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Low weight gain

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:44 PM
  • 8 Replies
Dr. says baby is nearly 1/2 lb under.

I think it's more like 4 oz.

Yall tell me.

Birth weight: 8.4

3 days old: 7.8

2 weeks: 7.13

1 month (today): 8.4 1/2
Just now back at birth weight.

Dr said she should have been back at birth weight at 2 weeks.
She wants me to supp with BM and go back in 2 weeks. I know then she is going to tell me to supp with formula. Baby has an ULT that affects her latch and I know she won't be where they want her. How do I challenge the dr and say no to formula without the backlash of CPS being called on me. Am I even right to say no to the formula?
Sidenote: a dr did call cps on me with my last EBF baby bc ahe wasnt gaining properly.
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this
More like .5oz over. You want 12oz above lowest at 4 weeks.

If you can't trust this doctor to not call CPS on you, then you need to find a new one. If you can't trust your practitioner, they're not a good one to have!

If you're concerned about transfer issues due to a tie, you need to get that addressed. What did this doctor say about it?
CampbellMama
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:58 PM
The dr said to get it clipped. But I just cant afford it. It's $542 upfront and then insurance will reimburse me.
gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have been looking for him to be a little heavier by today. I would get the tie clipped now despite the cost. It will cost you more in the long run NOT to get it done.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:53 PM
You may need to pump and supplement with your own milk until you can get the ties revised. Be aware that an upper lip tie is 99% of the time accompanied by a deep posterior tongue tie. I would also look for a breastfeeding friendly pediatrician, or perhaps a family practitioner. Look up and print off information on weight gain and ties from kellymom.com. What is her 24 hour diaper count, wet and poopy?
CampbellMama
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:34 PM
Wets are great, 12+. Poop was great 3-4 bit the last couple days have been off. One day was 1, the next 3, then 1, next day 2. But they are big poops.

Quoting MusherMaggie: You may need to pump and supplement with your own milk until you can get the ties revised. Be aware that an upper lip tie is 99% of the time accompanied by a deep posterior tongue tie. I would also look for a breastfeeding friendly pediatrician, or perhaps a family practitioner. Look up and print off information on weight gain and ties from kellymom.com. What is her 24 hour diaper count, wet and poopy?
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this
As your supply regulates with untreated ties, he wi likely not be able to transfer enough milk for proper gain. His diaper count is good now but may not be later on.
MommyO2-6631
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:37 PM
1 mom liked this
You need to supplement with your own milk until the ties are revised. You can use a syringe ir an open cup to protect her latch. Possibly ask the doctor recvising the ties about a payment plan until the insurance company can reimburse you. Ties are no joke and if you can't get it clipped soon your supply will suffer and weights will not get any better.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:26 PM
This. You are looking at paying for a tie revision or paying for formula and multiple dr visits. In the long run, the revision is cheaper by far.

Quoting MommyO2-6631: You need to supplement with your own milk until the ties are revised. You can use a syringe ir an open cup to protect her latch. Possibly ask the doctor recvising the ties about a payment plan until the insurance company can reimburse you. Ties are no joke and if you can't get it clipped soon your supply will suffer and weights will not get any better.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)