Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help i want to wean my 18 mo old!!

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:05 PM
  • 7 Replies
Hello im jenny i have an 18 mo old who still nurses once during the day for nap and once at night for bedtime. He still nurses during the night though since his crib is attached to our bed at night he comes over and asks for the boob. He does this several times at night and im fed up. Im 4 mo pregnant with #2 and i want a break before the baby gets here in sept. Please any advise tips anything! Im tired and do not enjoy nursing him anymore. I think i did the best i can but im ready to be done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Look up "Changing Patterns in the Family Bed" on DrJaygordon.com. Best, most complete methods for night weaning and co-sleeping issues.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:34 PM
I will tell you that when I weaned my first before he turned 2 that was the end of naps. But when I hit the part of your post where you said you were pregnant, yeah, I'm certain the nursing aversions would so me in. Look up Dr. Jay Gordon as mentioned above.
mckinneymom918
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:20 PM
I literally just night weaned my 19 month old last month. She was a boobaholic!

I found I was having trouble falling back to sleep after she wine me up to nurse at 3am, so I knew I had to start there. My plan was for the first 3 days, between 1 and 5, we wouldn't nurse- she woke at 12:30, we nursed and I told her next time mommy would hug her, but we couldn't nurse. There was crying that first night, but I held her tight, her back to me, I sang', hummed, talked, rubbed her arm, everything. And after about 30 minutes she got the picture and cuddled in and fell asleep until 7. After that first night, she didn't cry- not that she didn't ask, but she was ok with the answer. And with in a few days I was able to say no from bedtime until 6 or so.

Last week, I started transitioning her into her own bed to stay all night (she always slept there first, but only until she woke up the first time). I nursed her to sleep and laid her in her bed, if she wakes up, I lay her back down and pat her back and then just stand there. The first few nights she'd lay there watching me but would eventually fall asleep and I'd sneak out. Last night, I started just laying her down, patted her back a few times, and said ok, night night Lydia. Mommy's going back to sleep too. The first time it took a few times of that, but she finally settled and then when she woke up the next time she settled right down. Hopefully soon she'll stop waking!!!

After the night weaning, you may be able to tolerate a little better or start cutting time off the before nap and bed.

Good luck!!
happymommy2b90
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:27 PM
Thanks this sounds helpful im going to try this.

Quoting mckinneymom918: I literally just night weaned my 19 month old last month. She was a boobaholic!

I found I was having trouble falling back to sleep after she wine me up to nurse at 3am, so I knew I had to start there. My plan was for the first 3 days, between 1 and 5, we wouldn't nurse- she woke at 12:30, we nursed and I told her next time mommy would hug her, but we couldn't nurse. There was crying that first night, but I held her tight, her back to me, I sang', hummed, talked, rubbed her arm, everything. And after about 30 minutes she got the picture and cuddled in and fell asleep until 7. After that first night, she didn't cry- not that she didn't ask, but she was ok with the answer. And with in a few days I was able to say no from bedtime until 6 or so.

Last week, I started transitioning her into her own bed to stay all night (she always slept there first, but only until she woke up the first time). I nursed her to sleep and laid her in her bed, if she wakes up, I lay her back down and pat her back and then just stand there. The first few nights she'd lay there watching me but would eventually fall asleep and I'd sneak out. Last night, I started just laying her down, patted her back a few times, and said ok, night night Lydia. Mommy's going back to sleep too. The first time it took a few times of that, but she finally settled and then when she woke up the next time she settled right down. Hopefully soon she'll stop waking!!!

After the night weaning, you may be able to tolerate a little better or start cutting time off the before nap and bed.

Good luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrseoc
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:27 PM

I just night weaned my 2 year old (25 months). We are a week into it now.

Just refuse. Tell him "mommy cant nurse at night anymore she needs to rest." I tell this to my DD followed by rubbing her back and she goes back to sleep. It was not easy the first few nights, she didn't like being told no and cried for some time. If she kept crying i said "ok mommy has to get some rest she's going to sleep now" and i'd roll over. She would immediately stop crying and usually roll into me. Then i will roll over and rub her back if she allows or just snuggle.

Mine seemed alright with it so long as it meant she could still lay with me. She needs nursed one extra session during the day now. It may be easier or harder for you but as long as you stick with it, refuse to nurse but offer comfort, it will work out.

mckinneymom918
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:01 PM
I hope it goes smoothly! It definitely went smoother than I expected from her. I think I put it off for so long because I didn't want the fight. It was just easier to nurse her than deal with it. This may sound completely ridiculous, but the older she was getting, I felt it was also making her expect everything else when she asked (until I night weaned, I nursed on demand), so in a way, I felt that by nursing on demand still it was undermining my parenting in other aspects. The last few weeks, I've seen a difference in her general behavior when she's told no- like in her little mind, she says it's ok that mama says no sometimes. The fits are less frequent and not as bad when they do happen. It could be a fluke, but I don't buy it.

Quoting happymommy2b90: Thanks this sounds helpful im going to try this.

Quoting mckinneymom918: I literally just night weaned my 19 month old last month. She was a boobaholic!

Good luck!!
happymommy2b90
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:08 PM
Thats how i feel. Ive been putting it off because i didnt want to deal with the fight but im def tired and ready.

Quoting mckinneymom918: I hope it goes smoothly! It definitely went smoother than I expected from her. I think I put it off for so long because I didn't want the fight. It was just easier to nurse her than deal with it. This may sound completely ridiculous, but the older she was getting, I felt it was also making her expect everything else when she asked (until I night weaned, I nursed on demand), so in a way, I felt that by nursing on demand still it was undermining my parenting in other aspects. The last few weeks, I've seen a difference in her general behavior when she's told no- like in her little mind, she says it's ok that mama says no sometimes. The fits are less frequent and not as bad when they do happen. It could be a fluke, but I don't buy it.

Quoting happymommy2b90: Thanks this sounds helpful im going to try this.

Good luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)