• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Travelling with baby

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:19 PM
  • 6 Replies
Anyone travelled far car distances with their lo yet? Carson is 5.5 months and we are driving to see the outlaws...oops....Inlaws for Easter. It's typically a 7-8 hr drive. I expect it to take a lot longer. Nervous as to how it's gonna go. Any tips?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
hot_momma633
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:21 PM
I have no idea. My dd is 8 months and we are traveling next week to my patents. Its only an hour but we are staying over night. I'm afraid I'm forget something or not have enough.
shortyali
by Alicia on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:47 PM
Plan on stopping every 2-3 hours. Other than that not much different than going without a baby. We try to plan trips for early morning because my kids tend to sleep 4-5 hours at a time that way and we can normally get about half the trip done before having to stop.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:47 PM
You need to stop for stretching and nursing every couple of hours for your health and his. Beats having to carry bottles and formula, though. We did lots of traveling when ours were babies.
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:47 PM
Yes! Traveled 15 hours last summer. Stopped
Every time couple of hours for for him to nurse.
Seniahmom
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:46 PM
All the time. Plan for an extra hour every 2-3 hours of drive time. It always made me feel better when we got there at or before that time lol.

We'd lay out a blanket at a rest stop, let baby wiggle around, nurse, we'd have a snack/potty, etc and move on. We make one sit down to eat stop and let baby play. It's easier with an under one than over 3 lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Yep, went to mils at Xmas 5 hrs away. Plan to stop at least every 2 hrs. I always plan for the trip to be twice as long as normal. Whatever you do, do NOT feed baby while the car is moving, whether it be by taking baby out or leaning over. Both are incredibly dangerous. (Not saying you would do either but someone always reccomends it. ) take toys that are new for baby to pay with only in the car. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)