Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cough drops and breastfeeding

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:37 PM
  • 4 Replies

I've been sick all week and started taking cough drops. The past couple of days my milk supply has dropped down to about half of what i was making before.

I used to pump about 12 ounces at work and now i can only get 5 - 7. So we have been having do dip into our freezer supply.

Could this be caused by the cough drops? That is the only diet change I have had.

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 5:41 PM
Can you list the ingredients of the cough drops? Eucalyptus and anything in the mint family will drop supy, as will decongestants. Up your fluids, eat steel cut oatmeal, peaches, macadamia nuts and/or sesame seeds to bring supply back up.
Kasey91286
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:27 PM

It has menthol, eucalyptus oil, glucose syrup, potassium citrate, soy lecithin, sucrose, and water

Quoting MusherMaggie: Can you list the ingredients of the cough drops? Eucalyptus and anything in the mint family will drop supy, as will decongestants. Up your fluids, eat steel cut oatmeal, peaches, macadamia nuts and/or sesame seeds to bring supply back up.

kman88
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:28 PM

menthol cna cause a decrease in supply. I had the same issue and have had to switch to the fruitty cough drops with no menthol.

Quoting Kasey91286:

It has menthol, eucalyptus oil, glucose syrup, potassium citrate, soy lecithin, sucrose, and water

Quoting MusherMaggie: Can you list the ingredients of the cough drops? Eucalyptus and anything in the mint family will drop supy, as will decongestants. Up your fluids, eat steel cut oatmeal, peaches, macadamia nuts and/or sesame seeds to bring supply back up.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:31 PM
Yes, menthol and eucalyptus are both no-no's.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)