Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

not nursing. UPDATE

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:56 PM
  • 22 Replies
A little bit about our backstory: Emma nursed so good until about a month to a month and a half ago. When she was with me, we nursed. No bottles. But I work full time so she gets bottles at daycare. She's gotten so used to the bottle that she won't nurse. If I bring her to my boob she screams bloody murder...any advice? We've tried skin to skin, her on top of me trying to nurse, side laying, etc. We've had mastitis, nipple confusion, low supply,
etc. No one said it would be easy but I'm going crazy. I just want her to nurse again.

UPDATE: she's nursing again! I got a Moby wrap and I have been wearing her alll weekend so far. :)
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:25 PM
How big are the bottles? Is caregiver following pace feeding?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:29 PM
Two articles: "Getting Baby Back to Breast" & "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby", both on kellymom.com. You will need to take a nursing holiday: take her to bed with you and nurse at every wiggle. If she won't take it at first, use a dropper or shot glass, but no bottles.
CountryGirl1365
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:59 PM
I'm trying the nursing vacation this weekend. I also think she's teething. You can see little white things where the first bottom teeth would come in. And thank you, ill definitely read them.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Two articles: "Getting Baby Back to Breast" & "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby", both on kellymom.com. You will need to take a nursing holiday: take her to bed with you and nurse at every wiggle. If she won't take it at first, use a dropper or shot glass, but no bottles.
CountryGirl1365
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:00 PM
We use tommee tippees. And paced feeding? What's that?

Quoting Mom2Just1: How big are the bottles? Is caregiver following pace feeding?
mamabens
by Miranda on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:43 PM

How many ounces does she get per bottle while you're gone? How long are you gone? Paced feeding is babysitting upright, bottle paralell to the floor and burping after each oz. it should take a long time to eat a bottle so she gets the I'm full signal. 

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:04 PM
Paced feeding is explained in the articles from Kellymom.com. You should treat her teething pain, especially at night when it gets worse. Infant Tylenol, Hyland's homeopathic teething tablets, raw sweet onion rubbed on the gums, and an amber teething necklace are all good. At six months, you can also use infant ibuprofen.
CountryGirl1365
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:14 PM
We gave her Tylenol before bed, about an hour ago so hopefully it'll help.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Paced feeding is explained in the articles from Kellymom.com. You should treat her teething pain, especially at night when it gets worse. Infant Tylenol, Hyland's homeopathic teething tablets, raw sweet onion rubbed on the gums, and an amber teething necklace are all good. At six months, you can also use infant ibuprofen.
CountryGirl1365
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:15 PM
She usually gets 5 oz per bottle. Which sounds really dumb after reading those articles :( I'm gone from 8-5

Quoting mamabens:

How many ounces does she get per bottle while you're gone? How long are you gone? Paced feeding is babysitting upright, bottle paralell to the floor and burping after each oz. it should take a long time to eat a bottle so she gets the I'm full signal. 

shortyali
by Alicia on Apr. 4, 2014 at 5:22 AM
Then that's why she wants the bottles instead. Start scaling them back to 3ozs by dropping .5 an oz every couple if days. You want the bottles to seem like barely a snack so that mom equals a thanksgiving feast, not the other way around. The paced feeding helps with that.

Also babies take about 19-30 ozs a day and if she was getting 3 bottles in that time frame, she was getting half her daily need right there. So she wouldn't want to nurse that often.

Quoting CountryGirl1365: She usually gets 5 oz per bottle. Which sounds really dumb after reading those articles :( I'm gone from 8-5

Quoting mamabens:

CountryGirl1365
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:28 AM
That makes sense. I wish I would have read that before.

Quoting shortyali: Then that's why she wants the bottles instead. Start scaling them back to 3ozs by dropping .5 an oz every couple if days. You want the bottles to seem like barely a snack so that mom equals a thanksgiving feast, not the other way around. The paced feeding helps with that.

Also babies take about 19-30 ozs a day and if she was getting 3 bottles in that time frame, she was getting half her daily need right there. So she wouldn't want to nurse that often.

Quoting CountryGirl1365: She usually gets 5 oz per bottle. Which sounds really dumb after reading those articles :( I'm gone from 8-5

Quoting mamabens:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN