• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Blood in stool.

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:01 PM
  • 8 Replies
So we have been dealing with blood in the stool for a couple of weeks, at first the doctor thought it was a stomach bug since there was a sour smell and green. I went and saw a LC to see if it was oversupply and she assessed and doesn't believe there are any issues at all there so the doc and the LC are leaning toward a food allergy. So I was told to remove dairy from my diet. I have done so successfully for 6 full days now. I know they say that it can take up to two weeks for me and two weeks for him but we should see great improvement. Well, what's weird is some days he will not have any blood or just little bits here and there. But then there are days like the last 24 hours, there has been lots of blood in every diaper and he's been spitting up more the last couple days too. Idk what to think. I read lots of labels. Idk if I should push the docs more or what. I'm tired of the guessing game. Idk what to do.
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:07 PM
Could still be some hidden dairy, and it takes more lime 4-6 weeks to clear it totally from both of your systems. If you're using soy instead, many babies are allergic to both dairy and soy. Dairy is also called casein or whey in some products.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Chasamassa
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:10 PM
I've been looking at labels on everything that goes into my mouth. Would it be so random like that if it was a food allergy?
Chasamassa
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:11 PM
I've been using almond milk
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:18 PM
Could be. I'm wracking my brain; has he had any pumped milk from before you started eliminating dairy? Any formula?
Chasamassa
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:46 PM
He's had a soy based formula cuz I was considering throwing in the towel on bfing but he seemed fine and had normal poops after that. More so normal then with breast milk. And that was over a week ago. He hasn't had any pumped milk in a few weeks cuz everything in the freezer is from when I was on dairy
gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Babies sensitive to dairy are usually equally sensitive to soy, though I wouldn't expect a reaction to it this late. Still, the random blood is not surprising since you're still in the "work it out" phase of elimination.

Quoting Chasamassa: He's had a soy based formula cuz I was considering throwing in the towel on bfing but he seemed fine and had normal poops after that. More so normal then with breast milk. And that was over a week ago. He hasn't had any pumped milk in a few weeks cuz everything in the freezer is from when I was on dairy

K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:22 PM
Do you have an oversupply or overactive letdown? Those can cause blood in the stool as well.
Rachel_Neocate
by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Like someone else mentioned it could definitely be something else in your diet.. soy is usually the other common allergens in babies.. it's called milk soy protein intolerance, or MSPI.  I would consider removing dairy and soy... and if that still doesn't help you may consider one of the other top 8 allergens (dairy, soy, egg, fish, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts, and wheat).  For my LO I had to eliminate dairy, soy, eggs and nuts.  And, you're right, it may take some time before you end up with blood-free stools. 

Here are some links that helped me:

http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/food-sensitivity/

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/feeding-eating/feeding-infants-toddlers/food-allergies/elimination-diet

Rachel  ~ Mom to 3 boys
Augustboy02 - Sensational Sensory kid
D
ecemberboy04 - former reflux baby
Augustboy10 - MFPI

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)