Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Hi! new here and a question about bf'ing after csection

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:53 PM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this
My son was born 3 days ago at 35wks and is in the nicu. I had my first csection after 4 natural vaginal births and I'm not producing much at all this time. I'm usually engorged by day 2 or 3 but only started getting colostrum when pumping today. Is this normal? ? Hoping tomorrow will be much better
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michelles89
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:55 PM
My dr gave me a pilll to help my milk come in
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:02 AM
If baby hasn't been at the breast at all, it's not surprising. You're sure they got all the placenta?
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Quoting michelles89: My dr gave me a pilll to help my milk come in

Do you know what it was? That's a new one on me and it would be great to have the info in our knowledge base.

zandizane
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:09 AM
Pretty sure they got it all. I've had hardly any bleeding

Quoting gdiamante: If baby hasn't been at the breast at all, it's not surprising. You're sure they got all the placenta?
cjr2009
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:43 AM

Totally normal. My newborn was in NICU for 4 days and I didn't have any milk, just colstrum. The last day before leaving the hospital, my stepdaughter and I forced the newborn to suck on my nipple while we dripped the formula into his mouth. We did that for 3 hours and he cried the entire time because there was no milk coming out. Thank goodness,  my milk came on the next day in addition to the colostrum but I still suplemented for a week before I produced enough milk for my baby.  My friend didn't have milk until 10 days later.

shortyali
by Alicia on Apr. 4, 2014 at 5:11 AM
I have had 3 sections and my milk came in anywhere from 3 days to 6 days. It depended on how often baby was nursing. DS2 lived on my boob so my milk came in on day 3, he only came off for diaper changes and for the Ped checks it seemed. DD nursed a lot but also slept a lot to so it took 4 days with her. DS1 I listen to the "medical professionals" and only nursed every 3 hours and it took 6 days to come in.
SRUsarahSC
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 5:22 AM

Just had an emergency section 2 weeks ago, milk took five days to come in versus three when I had my first.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:11 PM
C-section x 2. Milk took almost a week the first time, a little over 24 hours with the second. Both babies were nursed on demand from the start, but my first had a bottle or two of formula in the hospital. Things will move along once you put him to breast.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:06 PM

csection usually slows things down.  Did you get IVs beforehand?

Mommy_Natural
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:00 PM
All three of mine have been csections and milk has always came in around the third day. However since baby is in the NICU and not nursing on demand it makes sense that the milk is taking a little longer. I'm sure it will come in fine once baby can nurse!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)