Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Does it help increase supply?

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:52 AM
  • 9 Replies
Oatmeal that is? Does it help to increase milk supply? All I have is quick oats at the house so I'm eating some but thought I'd ask.
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:03 AM
I never had supply issues, but some moms sweat they do. Quick oats are less effective though.
jaxons_mama
by Allyson on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:13 AM
Steel cut are the best to help with supply. I've never had an issue but a friend did and it worked with her.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:52 AM
Peaches, macadamia nuts and sesame seeds are also galactagogues. There are more listed on Kellymom.com.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:16 PM

steel cut irish oats can help boost a bit

PolishMamma2
by Marta on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:14 PM
This,
I dont think instant will work.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

steel cut irish oats can help boost a bit

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 4, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Never had a low supply problem here either, but whenever I eat oats, even instant, my breasts swell with milk. It may work for you, it may not, our bodies all respond to different things. The only way to know how your body will respond is to try, I say go for it, and it doesn't work....well no harm. Good luck mama! :-)

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 10:24 PM

The quick-cook oats *may* help.  But generally, it's steel-cut that you need.  In my experience, it works like beer.  You get a small temporary "burst" of supply, but it doesn't actually increase your supply long term.  Although, I suppose if you were to eat the stee-cut oats daily, it would work that way.

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Apr. 5, 2014 at 2:29 PM
I've never noticed any food to increase my supply, but I've never really had an issue with that anyway, so I don't really know.
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Apr. 6, 2014 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this
This for me too.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Never had a low supply problem here either, but whenever I eat oats, even instant, my breasts swell with milk. It may work for you, it may not, our bodies all respond to different things. The only way to know how your body will respond is to try, I say go for it, and it doesn't work....well no harm. Good luck mama! :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)