Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

new here: relactation

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:26 AM
  • 8 Replies
Back story: my baby is 3 weeks old. I gave up breastfeeding at a week and some days. I was overwhelmed, tired, bleeding nips, recovering from surgery and I have 2 special needs children so I stopped.

I regret it, even though I feel like it was mentally and physically Better for us.

Now that I've gotten a routine, healed etc I'd like to try again? I've not fully stopped lactating either. I was actually able to pump .5 oz. Idk if that's good or not?

Anyway, pointers? Advice? How much fenugreek should I take? Mothers milk tea? I'm staying hydrated, putting her to breast before we bottle feed and pumping for a few minutes(I heard ten is best but I don't know if I can do ten minutes with my other kids needing attention too)

Success stories? I'd love to hear them so I don't feel so crazy about doing this again.
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:33 AM
You're doing all the right things. Fenugreek is three capsules three times a day. You can also eat steel cut oatmeal, peaches, macadamia nuts and sesame seeds. Keep an eye on her diaper count and you can start cutting the supplement gradually. As time goes on and she nurses more, you will also be able to cut the pumping and fenugreek. Take a look at "Getting Baby Back to Breast" on Kellymom.com. You may also want to get an SNS (Supplemental Nursing System) so you can give the supplement at the breast, providing more stmulus.
L0laUnscript3d
by New Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:45 AM
Oh I've been putting her back to breast already? She's not had a horrible time time latching so that's good right? Fresh peaches? I already have steel cut oats. Thank you for replying back!

Quoting MusherMaggie: You're doing all the right things. Fenugreek is three capsules three times a day. You can also eat steel cut oatmeal, peaches, macadamia nuts and sesame seeds. Keep an eye on her diaper count and you can start cutting the supplement gradually. As time goes on and she nurses more, you will also be able to cut the pumping and fenugreek. Take a look at "Getting Baby Back to Breast" on Kellymom.com. You may also want to get an SNS (Supplemental Nursing System) so you can give the supplement at the breast, providing more stmulus.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:49 AM
It is wonderful to put her to breast, and the more you do, the easier it will be! Keep us posted--we'll walk you through this! :-)
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM
You can also look up galactagogues on kellymom.com for more foods that are milk makers.
L0laUnscript3d
by New Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:02 PM
OK awesome! Thanks so much again. :)

Quoting MusherMaggie: It is wonderful to put her to breast, and the more you do, the easier it will be! Keep us posted--we'll walk you through this! :-)
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Quoting L0laUnscript3d: Back story: my baby is 3 weeks old. I gave up breastfeeding at a week and some days. I was overwhelmed, tired, bleeding nips, recovering from surgery and I have 2 special needs children so I stopped.
It happened. Forget it. Put baby to breast. Really. You haven't been "stopped" long enough to be relactating. We've seen FAR longer breaks.
I regret it, even though I feel like it was mentally and physically Better for us. Now that I've gotten a routine, healed etc I'd like to try again?
Yep. Go ahead.
I've not fully stopped lactating either. I was actually able to pump .5 oz.
Excellent.
Idk if that's good or not? Anyway, pointers? Advice?
Put baby top breast. LEAVE her there.
How much fenugreek should I take? Mothers milk tea?
None for now. If you're still pumping milk (and your output is normal for a woman who'ds nursing completely) then you're good. Put baby to breast, leave her there. You CAN take galactagogues but from what you've written, you don't need them. Your supply is still there just fine.
You do need to be ready for the routibne you've created to be blown out of the water, though. Newborns have this habit of not caring that there are other people with needs in this world!
I'm staying hydrated, putting her to breast before we bottle feed and pumping for a few minutes(I heard ten is best but I don't know if I can do ten minutes with my other kids needing attention too) Success stories? I'd love to hear them so I don't feel so crazy about doing this again.

We've had moms stop nursing for MONTHS and go back to it. You had a minor stumble. Put baby to breast and leave her there. Done. **grin**

You do need a sling. Required with older children, special needs or not.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with Gina. You don't really need to relactate because you never stopped lactating. If you're pumping 1/2 oz right now, you don't even need galactagogues. The fact that baby will latch makes things much easier for you. Just nurse! Good luck!

L0laUnscript3d
by New Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:41 PM
Thank you :) I have a few wraps that I've had since my first so I completely agree with baby wearing.

The routine I'm referring to is more for my older kids. Sophia really has no routine lol I just listen and watch for her cues.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting L0laUnscript3d: Back story: my baby is 3 weeks old. I gave up breastfeeding at a week and some days. I was overwhelmed, tired, bleeding nips, recovering from surgery and I have 2 special needs children so I stopped.
It happened. Forget it. Put baby to breast. Really. You haven't been "stopped" long enough to be relactating. We've seen FAR longer breaks.
I regret it, even though I feel like it was mentally and physically Better for us.

Now that I've gotten a routine, healed etc I'd like to try again?
Yep. Go ahead.
I've not fully stopped lactating either. I was actually able to pump .5 oz.
Excellent.
Idk if that's good or not?

Anyway, pointers? Advice?
Put baby top breast. LEAVE her there.
How much fenugreek should I take? Mothers milk tea?
None for now. If you're still pumping milk (and your output is normal for a woman who'ds nursing completely) then you're good. Put baby to breast, leave her there. You CAN take galactagogues but from what you've written, you don't need them. Your supply is still there just fine.
You do need to be ready for the routibne you've created to be blown out of the water, though. Newborns have this habit of not caring that there are other people with needs in this world!
I'm staying hydrated, putting her to breast before we bottle feed and pumping for a few minutes(I heard ten is best but I don't know if I can do ten minutes with my other kids needing attention too)

Success stories? I'd love to hear them so I don't feel so crazy about doing this again.

We've had moms stop nursing for MONTHS and go back to it. You had a minor stumble. Put baby to breast and leave her there. Done. **grin**

You do need a sling. Required with older children, special needs or not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)