Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pacifier: I'm becoming a Hypocrite

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:56 PM
  • 12 Replies

With my first he NEVER had a pacifier. We just worked through it and he never had one. I didn't want nipple confusion, reliance or any of the issues that come with the NOOK crap and so we just skipped it all together and I'm so glad we did.  Now I have a 21 month old (Stellan) and a new infant (Declan).  Declan loves to suckle after nursing - just for comfort! However, this means that I either have to have him wrapped on me (which I usually do) to get things done or he naps for about 4 minutes when put down before waking up "Hey - where's the boob!?"

Chasing a toddler, work, school, cleaning, cooking - it is all a bit difficult to do with a baby strapped on me and attached at the boob and especially since I'm weaning Stellan who has regressed back to nursing more after baby came.  I finally gave in and TRIED the pacifier.  Declan will now nap for 30 minutes with the Nook hanging at his lip rather than the 4 minutes without something at his lips.  I do NOT want him to be a pacifier child.... any advice??

by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:00 PM
Add long as you're nursing on demand, he will give up the paci easily when his needs decrease. I've never had a child take a paci beyond 4-5 mo.

Babies become dependant when the paci is their only means of comfort sucking.
TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:02 PM
Lol do what works :) until it doesn't, and then do something else. If you are determined to not use a pacifier, then tosses them all and be ok with wearing constantly/ 4 minute naps. If you are enjoying that 30 minute nap, use it occasionally for as long as it's not causing problems.
I was never going to use a nuk either ;) but all 3 of mine loved them for naps and bedtime. We set limits- nuks stay in bed- and that worked for us. I've done a lot of things as a parent that I swore I would never do ;)
ParanormalSarah
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 1:13 PM

I'm hoping to do this - I would love to have him not want it nearby as he gets able to last longer between feedings. I will pray! Thank yo u

Quoting SewingMamaLele: Add long as you're nursing on demand, he will give up the paci easily when his needs decrease. I've never had a child take a paci beyond 4-5 mo. Babies become dependant when the paci is their only means of comfort sucking.

carsonsmommytam
by Tammara on Apr. 4, 2014 at 2:38 PM
I made the mistake of giving the paci right from birth, not knowing any better. Lol. Hes 5 months now and doesnt wabt it often anymore. Only if daddy is here and im not.
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:38 PM

My kids hated them.  Only the boob would work.  My second was and still is a huge comfort nurser. He is 16 months now...

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 4, 2014 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd be de-emphasizing the last two items in your "things to do" list to buy a little more time. Cleaning? You just have to do it again in six months. **grin**

But as long as baby doesn't change the latch and start hurting you, I wouldn't worry about the pacifier.

PolishMamma2
by Marta on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Just take it away at a point.
I actually tried hard for my kids to take the passi,
I sucked my thumb, my husband did, my oldest dd still does. And I just knew my ds would be prone especialy After seeing him sucking on the ultrasound. But as soon as they got hand cordination they found the thumb is so much better. Think of it this way, a passi you can hide & throw away.
KristinD1988
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:32 PM

My daughter used a pacifier for about a month when she was first born. Never had any nipple confusion and she always nursed on demand. After that first month she refuses to take a pacifier, wants nothing to do with it. I wouldn't mind if she used it but she just decided she didn't want it anymore. She used it after I'd nurse her just for comfort until she passed out but she just gave it up on her own. Maybe your little one will do the same? 

KristinD1988
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Although she did start sucking her thumb occasionally. 

hot_momma633
by Member on Apr. 4, 2014 at 9:36 PM
My oldest loved her paci. My youngest dd not so much she liked when she was a new born but now she either chews on them or sucks her thumb.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN