Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Got Depo shot at 6 week checkup

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:00 AM
  • 15 Replies
And I think it's making my milk dry up. My appointment was Monday..I started noticing a difference Thursday.
Son doesn't seem satisfied...now his diaper count is lower. Still well within the range...but he had tonsss of diapers before.
I started drinking mothers milk tea (gross!) eating oatmeal..not seeing as change yet =(

Anything you'd recommend?
=(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:13 AM
I had the depo right after too. I think what you are experiencing is your milk is regulating to your baby's needs. If diapers are still plenty, don't worry they're less than before. As your baby gets older (even 6-8 weeks) the frequency changes as they are able to hold more.
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:16 AM
At 6 weeks its pprobably a growth spurt!!!
Y2kmomma
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:39 AM
He doesn't seem to be eating more though.
Hopefully that's what it is though!

Quoting PolishMamma2: At 6 weeks its pprobably a growth spurt!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:43 AM
If he doesn't seem satisfied just put him back to the breast, that way he can regulate your milk.

Quoting Y2kmomma: He doesn't seem to be eating more though.
Hopefully that's what it is though!

Quoting PolishMamma2: At 6 weeks its pprobably a growth spurt!!!
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 5, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Never look for satisfied. Especially in a six week old; they're almost as nasty as three week olds. **grin**

Dipe count needs to be at least six. Are you getting that? If so, then supply is OK and nothing you're taking will make a difference. Diaper count normally drops.

Depo CAN cause supply issues in some moms; those moms will also be negatively effective by ANYTHING hormonal and are best off with condoms or Paragard.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this
If you feel you need to, there are some simple foods that are milk-makers; steel cut oatmeal, peaches, macadamia nuts and sesame seeds to name a few. Look up "galactagogues" on kellymom.com for more.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 5, 2014 at 1:57 PM
Also avoid herbs that lower supply, like parsley I believe is one.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 2:39 PM
Quoting Precious333: Also avoid herbs that lower supply, like parsley I believe is one.

And anything in the mint family, and eucalyptus.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Y2kmomma
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:37 AM
I went to get this stuff.
I couldn't find steel cut oats anywhere. So got regular old fashioned Quaker oats. Will this work?
Couldn't find peaches, guessing they aren't in season. Will canned work?

I also stupidly got poppy seeds instead of sesame seeds...oops. Lol I should have wrote it down instead of trying to memorize.

Quoting MusherMaggie: If you feel you need to, there are some simple foods that are milk-makers; steel cut oatmeal, peaches, macadamia nuts and sesame seeds to name a few. Look up "galactagogues" on kellymom.com for more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Canned peaches will be fine. Steel cut would be something like Irish oatmeal. It's OK to use other oatmeal. It's not AS effecive but can help. 

What's the dipe count been, though?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)