Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Should she be eating so little? (solids)

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 3:38 PM
  • 17 Replies

She is 11 months, and I know that food before 1 is for fun. But she's been on baby food since 7 months and she still eats probably less than a jar. I've started giving her chunkier stuff (some of those gerber toddler meals), and she barely eats any of it. Is this normal at her age? And I am so stressed about her just now starting chunky foods. She has no teeth yet so I've been nervous to start it but I know at 1 I'm supposed to start getting her on table foods right? This is my first child so I'm not 100% sure how this all works

by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this
She should be feeding herself small pieces of whatever you're having. Doesn't have to be every meal or even every day just yet. The bulk of her calories should still be from breastmilk, and she should still be nursing immediately before solids.
coffeemom37043
by Dare on Apr. 6, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Yeah she is, I'm just worried I'm not doing enough with solid foods

Quoting MusherMaggie: She should be feeding herself small pieces of whatever you're having. Doesn't have to be every meal or even every day just yet. The bulk of her calories should still be from breastmilk, and she should still be nursing immediately before solids.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 4:08 PM
Solids are not nutritionally necessary until after the first birthday or so. Google baby-led solids. My.kids actually started out with meat and fruit, which is a good way to be sure iron levels stay up. Jarred food is not very nutrient dense, and spoon feeding and purees are not necessary. Breastmilk has more calories per ounce which is why it should be the main and major source through the first year.
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Apr. 6, 2014 at 6:39 PM
My daughter is 13 months old and while she now eats 2-3 meals with us, she still only eats a little bit at a time.

Purées are never needed though so quit the jars and offer table foods now. We don't do jar foods at all. My baby was on table food at 6 1/2 months when she showed all signs of readiness.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 6, 2014 at 7:53 PM

She might just eat more if you give her the chunky stuff. What she's eating is fine, though. She could eat NOTHING of the baby food and be fine.

firespurity
by Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 7:55 PM
She shouldn't be eating much. You're doing fine if you choose to introduce baby food instead of doing baby led solids. She's doing alright.
Analugojana
by Christine on Apr. 6, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Even if you don't do baby led solids, try making her food yourself. It's easy and far healthier than the jarred food, which is full of fillers.

PolishMamma2
by Marta on Apr. 6, 2014 at 9:18 PM
Have you tried any of that stuff?? Yucky! 😊 Try giving her some fine gratted apples or mashed potatoes. I used to boil carrots for ds and apples too. The apples get soft very fast when you boil them. I just read a article where a woman found a big piece of plastic in her dd gerber chunky food.
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Apr. 6, 2014 at 9:18 PM
Oh & avoccado is awesome too!!
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 9:28 PM
My kids liked shredded chicken with mandarin oranges, and sweet potato.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)