Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Only a month until baby Emma gets here!!! :) But, I'm wondering about something...

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:12 PM
  • 14 Replies

I've seen so many of you Ladies talking about tongue/lip ties.  I was wondering when you DON"T have to worry about it, or is it posible for the to have a lip/tongue tie but it not be bad enough to effect breasteeding and it being best to leave it be the way it is?  

Pregnancy Ticker
by on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Once upon a time, when midwives handled all births, they kept one long fingernail and swept it under the newborn's tongue every single time.  I'd take that to mean it's prety darned common, so worth checking. And if one is found, then I'd fix it. We've seen moms run into problems later when they're not handled.

Pagan_Mommy84
by Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:18 PM

The only problem is....I knwo all people have the line where lip/tongue ties are, and even when i see pics (unless it's really long), there's a lot of times that it looks normal to me.  So i can't tell when a baby is tongue/lip tied because I dont' knwo how far it has to go out to be considered as a tie =/

Quoting gdiamante:

Once upon a time, when midwives handled all births, they kept one long fingernail and swept it under the newborn's tongue every single time.  I'd take that to mean it's prety darned common, so worth checking. And if one is found, then I'd fix it. We've seen moms run into problems later when they're not handled.

Pregnancy Ticker
Seximama23
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:20 PM
If baby has lip/tongue tie its a simple fix when you find the right people or have knowledgeable people. My oldest was born with a anterior tie that was never revised and though there is no major issues he has texture issues...so its better just to get it done.
Pagan_Mommy84
by Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:21 PM

What is an anterior tie?

Quoting Seximama23: If baby has lip/tongue tie its a simple fix when you find the right people or have knowledgeable people. My oldest was born with a anterior tie that was never revised and though there is no major issues he has texture issues...so its better just to get it done.

Pregnancy Ticker
Seximama23
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Mobile Photo

Anterior tie is where the frenulum is connected to the tip or mid tongue and posterior tie is at the back of the tongue...the pics here are the different types

Quoting Pagan_Mommy84:

What is an anterior tie?

Quoting Seximama23: If baby has lip/tongue tie its a simple fix when you find the right people or have knowledgeable people. My oldest was born with a anterior tie that was never revised and though there is no major issues he has texture issues...so its better just to get it done.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

That's why it's best diagnosed by an IBCLC, pediatric dentist or pediatric ENT. At this point, you should locate an IBCLC in your area, because that's probably the most important person to have on your post-partum medical team. (And fair warning: The pediatrician may be the most hazardous member of the team.)

Quoting Pagan_Mommy84:

The only problem is....I knwo all people have the line where lip/tongue ties are, and even when i see pics (unless it's really long), there's a lot of times that it looks normal to me.  So i can't tell when a baby is tongue/lip tied because I dont' knwo how far it has to go out to be considered as a tie =/

Quoting gdiamante:

Pagan_Mommy84
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Thank you for the help :)  I think I'm just nervous, I really don't want to fail at this.  When my twins (11 yrs old now) were born, I didn't even want to breastfeed...truthfully, I thought it would be too hard with two babies, and I wasn't educated at all (never known anyone that breast fed at that time), and I didn't know all of the benefits of it.  They weren't even a full month old before they started getting sick, and kept getting diagnosed with the flu.  Finally, a doc did a spinal tap and found out they had RSV, and it was pretty bad...they almost died.  They are perfectly healthy with no long term issues from it, but it sucked and was hell for the first almost year of their lives.  I'm not saying that if I breastfed they woudln't have gotten it, or it would have even made a difference...but, I can't help but wonder because there is that chance that if they got those antibodies from my breast milk, that they wouldn't have gotten it or at least not as bad as they did.  I really wish I knew the benefits back then, and I don't want that regret again.

Quoting gdiamante:

That's why it's best diagnosed by an IBCLC, pediatric dentist or pediatric ENT. At this point, you should locate an IBCLC in your area, because that's probably the most important person to have on your post-partum medical team. (And fair warning: The pediatrician may be the most hazardous member of the team.)

Quoting Pagan_Mommy84:

Quoting gdiamante:

Pregnancy Ticker
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Quoting Pagan_Mommy84:

Thank you for the help :)  I think I'm just nervous, I really don't want to fail at this.

The F-word is not allowed here. The only time you'd have "failed" Is if you wrapped your hands around Emma's little neck and choked the life out of her. MURDER is failure. Nothing less than that counts. NOTHING. If she gets ONE DROP you've succeeded.

When my twins (11 yrs old now) were born, I didn't even want to breastfeed...truthfully, I thought it would be too hard with two babies, and I wasn't educated at all (never known anyone that breast fed at that time), and I didn't know all of the benefits of it.  They weren't even a full month old before they started getting sick, and kept getting diagnosed with the flu.  Finally, a doc did a spinal tap and found out they had RSV, and it was pretty bad...they almost died.  They are perfectly healthy with no long term issues from it, but it sucked and was hell for the first almost year of their lives.  I'm not saying that if I breastfed they woudln't have gotten it, or it would have even made a difference...but, I can't help but wonder because there is that chance that if they got those antibodies from my breast milk, that they wouldn't have gotten it or at least not as bad as they did.  I really wish I knew the benefits back then, and I don't want that regret again.

Another rule, to go with "no failure"... you've never had a baby before. Every birth is a fresh slate. You know more now. No going back and replaying what cannot be undone.

Pagan_Mommy84
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Well, wiping the f-word out of my vocab as we speak!!! Lol.  And I know that I shouldn't dwell on the past, and I don't.  I just want to be sure that I give my little one everything I can :)  I'm thankful I'm not as young and naive as I was when I had my boys (in the sense of not doing my research on things).  The awesome part though...is I'm already leaking colustrum and I still have 5 weeks to go!!  It's not a lot, but it is there :)  Ohh..and my insurance covers a breast pump 100%!!  The bad part is I don't get to pick the pump, they are paying for a Medela pump in style advanced double electric pump, do you know if that's a good one??

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Pagan_Mommy84:

Thank you for the help :)  I think I'm just nervous, I really don't want to fail at this.

The F-word is not allowed here. The only time you'd have "failed" Is if you wrapped your hands around Emma's little neck and choked the life out of her. MURDER is failure. Nothing less than that counts. NOTHING. If she gets ONE DROP you've succeeded.

When my twins (11 yrs old now) were born, I didn't even want to breastfeed...truthfully, I thought it would be too hard with two babies, and I wasn't educated at all (never known anyone that breast fed at that time), and I didn't know all of the benefits of it.  They weren't even a full month old before they started getting sick, and kept getting diagnosed with the flu.  Finally, a doc did a spinal tap and found out they had RSV, and it was pretty bad...they almost died.  They are perfectly healthy with no long term issues from it, but it sucked and was hell for the first almost year of their lives.  I'm not saying that if I breastfed they woudln't have gotten it, or it would have even made a difference...but, I can't help but wonder because there is that chance that if they got those antibodies from my breast milk, that they wouldn't have gotten it or at least not as bad as they did.  I really wish I knew the benefits back then, and I don't want that regret again.

Another rule, to go with "no failure"... you've never had a baby before. Every birth is a fresh slate. You know more now. No going back and replaying what cannot be undone.

Pregnancy Ticker
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 11:20 AM
Not a bad pump. It is, however, an open system single user pump.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)