Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

chia seeds; have you tried them?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:04 AM
  • 18 Replies

Have you tried chia seeds? someone said they work just like flax seeds. i started using them the other day, im not sure how to tell if they are working. ive put them in smoothies, in oatmeal, and in pudding. i keep forgetting to put ome in my dinner tho. i want to try it in my water next. those that have tied did it boost your supply? (i feel like i havent been making as much lately and mahalia gets fussy on one ide and has to switch tothe other sid as if the first side is "empty")

on an unrelated note can someone make me  breasfeeding siggy?? lol i hve been wanting one dont know how to make them

by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 1:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I put them in my before pumping snacks which are smoothies, oatmeal, cookies, or muffins. They do give me quite a boost. My add ins are flax seeds, chia, teff, and oats. I ran out of brewer's yeast. I put peaches in my oatmeal and my muffins. Sometimes I purée them and add them to the mix, and sometimes I just pop them in.
You don't have a supply problem though, based on your post. If baby nurses on one side and is still hungry you go to the other side. That's normal and not a sign that you're not making enough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 7, 2014 at 6:09 AM
Chia seeds gave me such a boost that I ended up engorged with clogged ducts at about 30 months. It's normal for babies to switch sides during feedings, though. How are her diapers?
MommyJill87
by Jill on Apr. 7, 2014 at 8:04 AM
Didn't know they were a booster. We eat them for the health benefits.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Fussiness is a good thing. Let her nurse as much and as often as she wants. It's how she builds your supply. If she's going through at least six diapers in twenty four hours with poopy counting as two, all is well. You have to be careful with galactagogues; you can cause oversupply which has its own set of problems.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 11:05 AM
How old is she? This sounds like typical, normal growth spurt behavior. And breasts are never empty. They are faucets or factories rather than storage units. Let her nurse on one side until she comes off on her own, burp, offer the other side. Repeat until she doesn't want any more.
newmomma1111
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 2:19 PM

in your before pumping snacks? they work that fast? i dont usually snack that much, how much do you use of them? how long do you wait before pumping? (sorry ive never heard of this and i feel really uneducated on the whole breastfeeding thing. i just know to drink water and juice, eat good, and take my prenatals which i always forget.)

Quoting polkaspots: I put them in my before pumping snacks which are smoothies, oatmeal, cookies, or muffins. They do give me quite a boost. My add ins are flax seeds, chia, teff, and oats. I ran out of brewer's yeast. I put peaches in my oatmeal and my muffins. Sometimes I purée them and add them to the mix, and sometimes I just pop them in. You don't have a supply problem though, based on your post. If baby nurses on one side and is still hungry you go to the other side. That's normal and not a sign that you're not making enough.

newmomma1111
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 2:26 PM

oh really?? your lo was 30 months? how much were you using?

her diapers are fine, i know she is gettign enough it justseems like im not making as much anymore and she gets fussy and frustrated on one side seemingly right away and then i put her on the other side and she eats up. normally she would eat only from one side and then next feeding is on the other side 

Quoting K8wizzo: Chia seeds gave me such a boost that I ended up engorged with clogged ducts at about 30 months. It's normal for babies to switch sides during feedings, though. How are her diapers?

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Apr. 8, 2014 at 2:30 PM
Sounds like a growth spurt to me. :)
I didn't know chia seeds were a galactogogue. Thanks for sharing that!

Quoting newmomma1111:

oh really?? your lo was 30 months? how much were you using?

her diapers are fine, i know she is gettign enough it justseems like im not making as much anymore and she gets fussy and frustrated on one side seemingly right away and then i put her on the other side and she eats up. normally she would eat only from one side and then next feeding is on the other side 

Quoting K8wizzo: Chia seeds gave me such a boost that I ended up engorged with clogged ducts at about 30 months. It's normal for babies to switch sides during feedings, though. How are her diapers?

newmomma1111
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

same here i didnt know they were a booster, although i heard the day i started that they were just like flax seeds. i read how much vitamins are with them and was amazed.

Quoting MommyJill87: Didn't know they were a booster. We eat them for the health benefits.

newmomma1111
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 2:42 PM

she is doing good on her diapers i know she is getting enough it just seems like im not making as much. normally she nurses from one side and then at the next feeding goes on the next side. and now i put her on and she eats for like 2 minutes and gets fustrated like if she isnt getting anything, so i put her on the other side and she eats fine. i havent been pumping as much as i used to because i needed more membranes for my pump when i was pumping before i would get about 6 oz in the session and when i pumped aain the other day was only able to get 2 oz

Quoting MusherMaggie: Fussiness is a good thing. Let her nurse as much and as often as she wants. It's how she builds your supply. If she's going through at least six diapers in twenty four hours with poopy counting as two, all is well. You have to be careful with galactagogues; you can cause oversupply which has its own set of problems.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN