Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Great NICU breastfeeding tips.

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:00 AM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

This is good advice
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 7, 2014 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Nice! I never had a premie, but my brother eas a premie and was able to breastfeed.
golther
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 11:29 AM
My 4 year old was 6 weeks early and started breastfeeding on day 3! All the nurses were super surprised because babies "normally" don't get the sucking reflex down until around 37-38 weeks.
PolishMamma2
by Marta on Apr. 7, 2014 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this
I had 2 early babies. Dd was born at 36w, & Ds was born at 35w. From my own personal experience,, the hospital we were at could care less if you want to breastfeed or not. They do what they want. I had to walk down to the nicu 30 min After having ds because no one would take me & caught the nurse just as she was about to feed him. She Said His Blood Sugar Was low, BUT They Give Out A pamplet About BF & in it us clearly written Skin to Skin will stabalize babys blood sugar. So to make a long story short, to any mom that has a nicu baby DON'T get intimidated, & speak up for yourself & your baby. Breastmilk is the BEST thing for babies especialy early ones.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 7, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Yeah I have 2 friends who have been pressured to give bottles and formula all the time with 3 month premature babies

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 7, 2014 at 11:46 AM

yes and they will make you feel like you are starving them and that you are awful for demanding only BM!

Quoting PolishMamma2: I had 2 early babies. Dd was born at 36w, & Ds was born at 35w. From my own personal experience,, the hospital we were at could care less if you want to breastfeed or not. They do what they want. I had to walk down to the nicu 30 min After having ds because no one would take me & caught the nurse just as she was about to feed him. She Said His Blood Sugar Was low, BUT They Give Out A pamplet About BF & in it us clearly written Skin to Skin will stabalize babys blood sugar. So to make a long story short, to any mom that has a nicu baby DON'T get intimidated, & speak up for yourself & your baby. Breastmilk is the BEST thing for babies especialy early ones.

PolishMamma2
by Marta on Apr. 7, 2014 at 11:51 AM
Exactly, thats why my first born ended up on formula. I was a new mom & so scared of Everything. They gave her bottles in the nicu & let me tell you my little chick wasnt afraid of food, so when it came time to nurse her she would scream like i was hurting her. It was a very hard lesson learned. She still has G.I. & skin problems.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

yes and they will make you feel like you are starving them and that you are awful for demanding only BM!

Quoting PolishMamma2: I had 2 early babies. Dd was born at 36w, & Ds was born at 35w. From my own personal experience,, the hospital we were at could care less if you want to breastfeed or not. They do what they want. I had to walk down to the nicu 30 min After having ds because no one would take me & caught the nurse just as she was about to feed him. She Said His Blood Sugar Was low, BUT They Give Out A pamplet About BF & in it us clearly written Skin to Skin will stabalize babys blood sugar. So to make a long story short, to any mom that has a nicu baby DON'T get intimidated, & speak up for yourself & your baby. Breastmilk is the BEST thing for babies especialy early ones.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN