Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Do they eat less frequently as they get older?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:12 AM
  • 9 Replies

DD is 5.5 months old, EBF.  Up until about a week ago she was eating every 2 hours on the weekends when I am home with her and in the evenings during the week.  This past week and weekend it seems like she doesn't have as much interest in eating and is going to eating every 3 hours.  Is this normal?  She still wants to nurse every 2 hours through the night ofcourse... :)  Do they just tend to nurse less frequently as they get older?  She is still making diaper count and seems content.  I won't know her weight gain until we go to the doctor next week but I would assume she's fine. 

by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Yep. All normal.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 7, 2014 at 10:51 AM
Yep :)
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 11:07 AM
They go through all sorts of patterns the first year. As she gets closer to the six month growth spurt, she will probably nurse more often to bring your supply up to her next level. And your right, as long as diaper count is good, all is well.
Eternity807
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 11:07 AM

I'm not going to lie, it's really nice that she is nursing less!  She is easily distracted so nursing in public isn't an option and at home we have to go in a back bedroom to hide from the distraction of her 2 year old brother.  So it's nice to have to do that a little less.  And I still get that wonderful opportunity of nursing her to sleep at night.  It's been a struggle but as it gets a little easier I am so glad I stuck with it and pushed through the horrible parts. 

MamaTwinkleA
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 11:11 AM
My ds nursed every 2 hours till 9 months. He had a tongue tie but yes it is very normal. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 7, 2014 at 11:43 AM

YES this is normal and common!

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 4:23 PM
Totally normal, but if you want her to nurse less at night you can offer more frequently throughout the day, especially in the evening.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jeniprice
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 5:10 PM
I'm not sure what's normal. My 11 1/2 month old nursed 17 times in the last 24 hours! He doesn't like food, just wants the boob. My nipples are on fire today!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carsonsmommytam
by Tammara on Apr. 7, 2014 at 5:39 PM
It is for my guy. Hes 5 months and hes starting to stretch out his day time feeds as well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN