Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Can you over nurse?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 8:52 PM
  • 19 Replies
My son is two weeks old and is a wonderful nurser. However he has been nursing lately even after he seems full. (He will have a full feeding and want to eat again 15 minutes later) I try other things but always end up nursing because it's the only thing that calms him. However after nursing sometimes he will ball up or be very fussy and his stomach gets very hard. I always do reclined nursing but sometimes he still gulps even if I'm laying flat.

I just want to make sure it's ok to nurse even if he seems full. I don't want him to keep having such an upset tummy!

I also worry about when I go back to work, if he always acts hungry I worry his care providers will over feed him. Also if only nursing calms him I don't want him to be upset all day when I'm working. :/
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 8:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 7, 2014 at 9:21 PM
3 moms liked this
Yes, it's ok. In fact it's *best* to nurse on baby's demand, even if baby just demanded. You're likely on the verge of the 3 week growth spurt. And babies also are driven to nurse for comfort, which is just as important to them as sucking for nutrition. Yes, daycare providers are notorious for overfeeding babies so you need to give them explicit instructions on how to bottle feed your breastfed baby. We'll post a link to the pdf with those insteuctions. But it's awesome if baby thinks YOU are the mother lode of milk, like now, and bottles are the crummy substitute for mom. When bottles are too big and fed too fast then you suddenly look like the dud compared to the bottle.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this
One of the best articles you can read: "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on Kellymom.com. Print a copy for your caregivers.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 7, 2014 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Comfort sucking is good and normal and nursing on demand is best :) at daycare they will have to find other ways to soothe him. I agree with both the above :)
Mommy_Natural
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 7:28 AM
Ok! I will keep nursing on demand though. I guess his tummy aches might be from something I ate. I will definitely look at the bottle feeding tips. He still hasn't had a bottle because i see no point since I'm home. My mom keeps insisting he should have one every day to get used to it, but I'm not ready for that yet lol. Will it be ok if his first bottle is his first day away from me?

Quoting mostlymaydays: Yes, it's ok. In fact it's *best* to nurse on baby's demand, even if baby just demanded. You're likely on the verge of the 3 week growth spurt. And babies also are driven to nurse for comfort, which is just as important to them as sucking for nutrition. Yes, daycare providers are notorious for overfeeding babies so you need to give them explicit instructions on how to bottle feed your breastfed baby. We'll post a link to the pdf with those insteuctions. But it's awesome if baby thinks YOU are the mother lode of milk, like now, and bottles are the crummy substitute for mom. When bottles are too big and fed too fast then you suddenly look like the dud compared to the bottle.
Mommy_Natural
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 7:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you! I definitely will.

Quoting MusherMaggie: One of the best articles you can read: "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on Kellymom.com. Print a copy for your caregivers.
Mommy_Natural
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 7:29 AM
Ok! Thank you I just needed some reassurance I guess. :)

Quoting Precious333: Comfort sucking is good and normal and nursing on demand is best :) at daycare they will have to find other ways to soothe him. I agree with both the above :)
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 8, 2014 at 8:08 AM
2 moms liked this
It's unlikely anything in your diet is the cause of this tummy upset. At this stage you're probably Still dealing w overactive letdown, even w the reclined feedings. As your supply regulates that will be less of an issue. At 2 weeks his digestive system is still very new and immature and eating, farting and pooping are all new sensations and often quite unpleasant. Some babies take months to even pass gas without major drama. You're right, no need for bottles yet, especially while you're right there. We usually say the baby does not need to "get used to a bottle" beforehand. They'll take it if they have to, but probably not happily because of the added stress of mom being gone as you're so completely intertwined with feeding.

Quoting Mommy_Natural: Ok! I will keep nursing on demand though. I guess his tummy aches might be from something I ate. I will definitely look at the bottle feeding tips. He still hasn't had a bottle because i see no point since I'm home. My mom keeps insisting he should have one every day to get used to it, but I'm not ready for that yet lol. Will it be ok if his first bottle is his first day away from me?

Quoting mostlymaydays: Yes, it's ok. In fact it's *best* to nurse on baby's demand, even if baby just demanded. You're likely on the verge of the 3 week growth spurt. And babies also are driven to nurse for comfort, which is just as important to them as sucking for nutrition. Yes, daycare providers are notorious for overfeeding babies so you need to give them explicit instructions on how to bottle feed your breastfed baby. We'll post a link to the pdf with those insteuctions. But it's awesome if baby thinks YOU are the mother lode of milk, like now, and bottles are the crummy substitute for mom. When bottles are too big and fed too fast then you suddenly look like the dud compared to the bottle.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Mommy_Natural: Ok! I will keep nursing on demand though. I guess his tummy aches might be from something I ate. I will definitely look at the bottle feeding tips. He still hasn't had a bottle because i see no point since I'm home. My mom keeps insisting he should have one every day to get used to it, but I'm not ready for that yet lol. Will it be ok if his first bottle is his first day away from me?

Absolutely! Sometimes "getting baby used to bottle" ahead of time backfires.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 8, 2014 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like you just have alot of milk and that can cause baby to kinda overeat BUT that evens out over time and theres no reason to refuse the berast or limit.  Keep trying the leaning back feeds and maybe block feeding and everything should work out.  Give it time momma!

cbear2
by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this
When dd was a newbie i had same issues. I would pump a little before feeding her so my letdown didnt overload her, and then i could sit her upright more to feed and it seemed to help her from getting so gassy. About a week before returning to work i started to leave her with dad for a bit to go.grocery shopping, or have some me time just to make sure she would be ok with the bottle. She was mad at first, but when she figured out it was b-milk and easy she was all about her bottle, and still my little piglet when iim home. I did have to switch to breast flow bottles because i couldnt find a bottle slow enough to keep her.from getting fustrated past my let down. Now its been smooth sailing:)
Good luck:)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN