Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

how can I wean my 15mo?UPDATE

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 1:10 AM
  • 7 Replies
Hi. My name is Nikki and I have a 15mo. He loves to breastfeed and I love it but it is starting to affect some aspects of his life.
1. He doesn't eat solids like he should because he would rather breast feed.
2. He doesn't sleep though the night.he wakes up several times to breast feed.
3. I need to get a job and it would just be easier if he want breast feeding anymore.
It's really taking its toll. I'm stressed all the time. He is super stubborn and will throw a hugh fit if I tell him no he needs to eat real food. I tried to look it up but it is confusing.

Can one of you ladies explain to me how to wean my super addicted 15mo?

Update: thank you so much for clarifying stuff for me. I kept being told he is taking in too much milk. He eats some solids like for lunch and dinner(even if just a few bites) but refuses breakfast. Also he's iron was super low abd had to be on supplements so I thought maybe he would eat more food I'd he didn't have add much bm.

I didn't really care if he slept thought the night or not. I don't really fully wake up when he eats. So I get good sleep. Once again I was told that he should be sleeping though the night.

As for a job. I don't really wanna pump that's what that was about. Plus I thought it would be easier for someone to watch him when he doesn't Want bmp all the time(he will take a bottle but he is too old).

I decided not to wean at the current moment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 1:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
linz04060913
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 2:22 AM

Following for answers. I'm not trying to wean, but my dd goes back and forth and right now is in a stretch of completely ebf again. She's also 15mo

saywatuwill
by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 2:44 AM

My son is 14 months old and I don't plan on weaning him. Unless it is something you do not want to do, I wouldn't worry so much about the solids. Breast milk tends to have more calories. 

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 3:25 AM
I have the same issue with ds. I leave him with DH at dinner time because the kid eats more with him. Sleeping through the night and breastfeeding aren't linked like that. Dd wasn't breastfed past three months and didn't sleep through the night until she was two. Ds was ready to sleep through the night at eighteen months old when he was only comfort nursing at night.
Entirely weaning him and then going to a job is going to make him want to nurse even more and cause separation anxiety. I would work on the meals before nursing and night weaning to save your sanity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
At 15 months, solids don't have to be a huge part of his diet. However, you do not have to wean in order to work. Solids and water while you're gone, nursing when you're home. Offering more when you are with him, especially during the day, will help him sleep more at night. And complete weaning may not help him sleep better.

Breastmilk never loses its nutritional value, and can be an important way to fill in nnutritional gaps in a toddler's diet.
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 9:13 AM
I don't think weaning will solve any of your problems.

My oldest DS was weaned by a year and still hardly ate and didn't sleep through the night, at age 4 he still wakes up at least once, thankfully he is very independent and use the potty an goes back to bed.

I also agree that forcing to wean now will cause more sellers room anxiety.

I understand if you are just ready to be done, but I don't think it will fix anything. If you really are just done, then I would start with night weaning
mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 9:14 AM
You can night wean first. I night weaned my 19mo old last month, and while she is sleeping better, she isn't sleeping through the night.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 8, 2014 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting newmom121812: Hi. My name is Nikki and I have a 15mo. He loves to breastfeed and I love it but it is starting to affect some aspects of his life. 1. He doesn't eat solids like he should because he would rather breast feed.
If he's eating ANY solids, that's "like he should." The milk is more nutritious than ANY solids you can give him It's quite normal that toddlers live on air and the occasional chicken nugget.
2. He doesn't sleep though the night.he wakes up several times to breast feed.
You can night wean, BUT... sleeping through the night is something that's NOT connected to breastfeeding.  Sleep patterns are down to individuals. Check out Dr. Jay Gordon's "Changing the Sleep Pattern In THe Family Bed" for night weaning info.
3. I need to get a job and it would just be easier if he want breast feeding anymore.
You canm work and not need to wean. Indeed, the most successful breastfeeding moms I've known int he past dozen years were NOT stay at home moms. The SAHMs tended to quit early. It's really easy... you nurse when you're home, on YOUR schedule (at one year you can institute distract and delay). Baby gets water or cow's milk or almond milk or rice milk when you're not there. Mine liked water.
It's really taking its toll. I'm stressed all the time. He is super stubborn and will throw a hugh fit if I tell him no he needs to eat real food. I tried to look it up but it is confusing. Can one of you ladies explain to me how to wean my super addicted 15mo?

Distract and delay. Don't say no, say "not now." Drop ONE feeding per week only and don't expect cooperation.

And above all, don't expect weaning to make your life easier... you'll just pick up new challenges. **grin**

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)