Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Please help

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 11:41 PM
  • 7 Replies

My son will be 2 next week. He's still nursing! I'm so over it! I feel like it is causing depression and is kind of the reason I don't want another kid. He goes to daycare three days a week for about 4 1/2 hours with no breast milk. He drinks whole milk, juice, and water out of a regular cup, silly cup, or water bottle. At daycare he gets breakfast, a snack, and lunch. When he gets home he nurses to sleep and when he wakes up I have him a snack ready then a few hours later we have dinner. When he doesn't go to daycare, I make him breakfast, he'll have a snack, lunch, a snack and then dinner. I make sure he has food all day so it would distract him from nursing. It doesn't work! I have tried everything even down to putting something on my nipple that doesn't taste good, such as lemons, and he still wants to nurse. No he doesn't like lemons. The only thing I can think of is going away for a weekend without him. He's still clingy and I don't like it. Someone please help!

by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 11:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 8, 2014 at 11:48 PM

Set limits. Don't say no, say "not now, after Barney." And stick with it... after Barney, nurse for ONE round of "Twinkle Twinkle." 

Next week, you make the interval longer. And continue to lengthen the intervals AND shorten the sessions till he's no longer interested.

You can also offer a reward.

But be warned: Weaning tends to make the clingy even CLINGIER.

And you're not the first mom to tell us putting something on the nipple failed... it usually does.

PolishMamma2
by Marta on Apr. 9, 2014 at 9:57 AM
I agree with the above. Set limits,
If he gets mad then he just gets mad, he will get over it. Im all for self weaning but if you feel its making you unhappy then you need to stop. My almost 2 year old just weaned himself due to me being pregnant & let me tell you it DID make him more clingy, lol. Hes not nursing but im still his, even if he just holds on to my shirt. Its a comfort thing.
KREX0914
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:09 AM

If he is eating regular foods just fine, it sort of sounds like he just wants some Mommy cuddles. For the past 2 years that is one way he has gotten them, no?
Toddlers throw fits all the time. He might just have to have a few tantrums while you work on weaning. What else is a mom to do?

Mama_Pollito
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Set him limits and stay strong... They may throw fits about it but if you are determined that you want to stop nursing just keep saying :" I'm sorry but no, how about a cup of warm milk in your sippy cup" and just stay strong  because if you give him back to him when he is mad that may just make it harder when you want to try again... Good luck ! fingers crossed

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 9, 2014 at 2:58 PM
This!

Quoting gdiamante:

Set limits. Don't say no, say "not now, after Barney." And stick with it... after Barney, nurse for ONE round of "Twinkle Twinkle." 

Next week, you make the interval longer. And continue to lengthen the intervals AND shorten the sessions till he's no longer interested.

You can also offer a reward.

But be warned: Weaning tends to make the clingy even CLINGIER.

And you're not the first mom to tell us putting something on the nipple failed... it usually does.

melindabelcher
by mel on Apr. 9, 2014 at 3:23 PM
Be aware that weaning causes a change in hormones and can worsen depression.
Going away for a weekend even a week won't do anything. He'll still want to nurse when you get back.
Distraction is really your best friend. Then limiting like G said. Only for 1-2 rounds of a nursery rhyme etc.
Some moms chose to only nurse at set times. Nap/before bed/in the am etc.
If you want him weaned sooner rather then later set blocks of time that he can't nurse and increase by a couple hrs every week.
I nursed until 3.5-4yr there were better and worse times but it ultimately comes down to being a healthy happy mom and if weaning does that for you go for it.
k_cook12
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Thank you everyone! I see where I'm going wrong. My son would throw a fit and I would give in. I don't like when he cries. However, this needs to be done. I feel like he's always attached to me. I don't even get a good nights sleep because hes always attached to me. I'm over it. I will try to work on all of these things and see how it goes! Thank you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN